VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   Trip Write-ups (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Operation Boomer (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=43775)

petehowell 05-24-2009 01:46 PM

Operation Boomer

I got the call from the Boxer Ladies last week that they needed to get a boy boxer from the Madison, WI area to a new family in Minne this weekend. The weather looked good and Bernie even offered to fly wing in his -7A!

We launched at 8am and took in the countryside - All the MOAs are cold, so we go direct!

Bernie kept me company.... Those dang 180HP birds are fast!

15 kt tailwinds got us there early - Turning final at Dodge County, WI

We landed, got a cookie, and met Boomer. Kim from the local shelter brought him to the plane.

You sure you can fly this thing? (Bernie Weiss Photo)

We strapped in, and headed on back to Minne. (Bernie Weiss Photo)

Boomer spent most of the flight in my lap!

What a great dog!

Wake me up when we land.....

*Everybody had a great day....

*New Family!

See all the pics here:

Hey guys, look into Pilots&Paws - it is great way to have fun and help some great animals.

* Note the last 2 pictures are not mine - they were taken by Cheryl of Minnesota Boxer Rescue

N62XS 05-24-2009 02:03 PM

You da MAN!

Its great when you can use a vehicle, built in your garage to help defenseless animals. Kudos to your selfless efforts and to the organization for giving some of God's beautiful creatures a better life.

tacaruth 05-24-2009 04:26 PM

Way to go, Pete!

Tom
RV-7A N175TJ Flying

Ron Lee 05-24-2009 06:05 PM

Great post.

N200PF 05-24-2009 08:04 PM

Pete you are just the KING!!! That is SO COOL!!!

We're going to have to come up with a new "Dog Box" mod to replace the passenger seat! (interchangeable from the -9A to the -7 and back of course!)

- PJ

AlexPeterson 05-24-2009 08:19 PM

Pete, I am not worthy - how cool. Sorry I wasn't around to provide additional fighter cover.

pierre smith 05-25-2009 05:00 AM

Pete....you need a bigger shirt..

....to hold that great, big ol' oversized heart of yours!!

What a joy to read this so early,

Thanks,

wv4i 05-25-2009 05:09 AM

nice post

Thanks for a nice post. Reminds me of when my daughter (then 7) and I flew the RV6 about 50 miles to pick up our new Cocker Spaniel puppy, now much a part of the family 3 years later.

petehowell 05-25-2009 09:07 AM

P&P and APRS

Just a quick plug for the usefulness of APRS. I provided instructions to the Boxer rescue people on both ends on how to use APRS tracking on the web.

They watched us dropping breadcrumbs across the countryside and headed to the airport when we were close - took headwinds and tailwinds (and late departures) out of the equation.

I've posted on the P&P board about APRS and some of the guys are going to add it.

davestapa 05-25-2009 09:55 AM

Pete, great post. I volunteer for Atlanta Boxer Rescue and have two Boxers of my own. Had 5 through the years. If everyone was familiar with these dogs, everyone would have one! Question-Do you give the dogs anything to calm them like Benadril? Also how do your restrain them? My brother and I are a couple of months away from finishing a 9A and maybe I can do this in Georgia.

David Estapa
Woodstock, GA
Kitfox 5 Flying
RV-9A almost done