VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   RV General Discussion/News (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Vision (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=117757)

Pat Stewart 09-22-2014 05:38 AM

Vision

For my entire life I have had 20-20 vision however I am know in my mid 50's and I am noticing the small print starting to get harder to read. What are the rules on vision with regard to passing a third class.

Pat

robertahegy 09-22-2014 05:43 AM

The worst thing is that you may have a notation on your medical that you need to be wearing corrective lenses while exercising your class priviledges. No big deal.

Roberta

Pat Stewart 09-22-2014 05:48 AM

Thanks,

My curiosity is at what point is it an issue if my vision continues to get worse over the next several years.

Pat

DanH 09-22-2014 05:58 AM

?67.303 Eye.

Eye standards for a third-class airman medical certificate are:

(a) Distant visual acuity of 20/40 or better in each eye separately, with or without corrective lenses. If corrective lenses (spectacles or contact lenses) are necessary for 20/40 vision, the person may be eligible only on the condition that corrective lenses are worn while exercising the privileges of an airman certificate.

(b) Near vision of 20/40 or better, Snellen equivalent, at 16 inches in each eye separately, with or without corrective lenses.

(c) Ability to perceive those colors necessary for the safe performance of airman duties.

(d) No acute or chronic pathological condition of either eye or adnexa that interferes with the proper function of an eye, that may reasonably be expected to progress to that degree, or that may reasonably be expected to be aggravated by flying.

Pat Stewart 09-22-2014 06:00 AM

Thanks Dan. That helps

Pat

humptybump 09-22-2014 06:04 AM

Pat,

My suggestion is to get a copy of the vision requirements and give them to your regular ophthalmologist. He/She can tell you how close to the test minimums you are adn give you options.

I've worn glasses most of my life and like you am seeing some changes now that I've passed the half-century mark. My eye doctor knows the requirements for the AME exam. So, she keeps those details in me chart and we discuss options for both my "day to day" needs and my flying needs.

This way, there are no surprises when I go for my flight medical.

CanyonDweller 09-22-2014 07:08 AM

Sounds like presbyopia. You'll need reading glasses. Welcome to the club; you are officially growing older.

SmilingJack 09-22-2014 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat Stewart (Post 918336)
For my entire life I have had 20-20 vision however I am know in my mid 50's and I am noticing the small print starting to get harder to read. What are the rules on vision with regard to passing a third class.

Pat

I "Feel" you Brahda!

I used to be able to read what was written on the "Wright Flyer" struts on our license!

I often wonder how I would have built needing glasses.

Good luck :D

Mel 09-22-2014 07:16 AM

I went the other direction. Been wearing glasses since the 4th grade (1953).
Had "Crystalens" implanted November of 2012. No glasses since. FANTASTIC!

airguy 09-22-2014 08:32 AM

Just this weekend I finally reached the point where I needed a pair of reading glasses to be able to read the numbers on a DB connector while doing wiring. I know what that means for me in the next few years...