VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   RV-14 (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   Transporting RV14A to Airport (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=190820)

lluciani 01-05-2021 03:33 PM

Transporting RV14A to Airport
 
I mounted a Garmin VIRB camera behind my RV14A's roll bar and filmed its ride to the airport yesterday on the back of a flat bed tow truck. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L95Esyfo9M. It was not nearly as stressful as I expected it to be.

MacCool 01-05-2021 03:52 PM

That is really clever.

Nice panel!

BravoAlphaRomeo 01-05-2021 04:01 PM

Did you haul that to a painter in pieces to have it painted ? Looks great by the way :)

Tom023 01-05-2021 05:43 PM

Congratulations. Iím a few hangars over in G10...160 hours on mine but still unpainted. Supposed to go to the shop next month. Stop over.

Tom

scard 01-05-2021 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lluciani (Post 1491718)
I mounted a Garmin VIRB camera behind my RV14A's roll bar and filmed its ride to the airport yesterday on the back of a flat bed tow truck. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L95Esyfo9M. It was not nearly as stressful as I expected it to be.

Nice! Before all that "tech" existed, we just drove behind the tow truck on the big day and took pictures at the stop lights. A moments day indeed!

BobTurner 01-05-2021 05:55 PM

Your roads must be better than ours. I spent a lot of time really tying down the airplane to the truck bed. Right hand lane of the interstate is really torn up by the big rig traffic. By the time I arrived at the airport, one wheel chock was gone. Glad I tied the wheels down.

lluciani 01-05-2021 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BravoAlphaRomeo (Post 1491723)
Did you haul that to a painter in pieces to have it painted ? Looks great by the way :)

I didn't and thank you. I painted it myself. It managed to do an OK job but not as nice as professionally painted. I did it in stages since I did not have very much space. The wings were painted many months ago and the fuselage just last week. I did this in my garage which I set up as a paint booth. It cost be about $700 in PPG Concept which I have used before and seems to be kind to non-professionals.

lluciani 01-05-2021 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom023 (Post 1491743)
Congratulations. Iím a few hangars over in G10...160 hours on mine but still unpainted. Supposed to go to the shop next month. Stop over.

Tom

Tom, I am pretty sure I saw you very recently. I drove by and saw a really cool looking RV14A with its engine running in the hanger row which I think was G. I look forward to meeting you.

lluciani 01-05-2021 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacCool (Post 1491721)
That is really clever.

Nice panel!

Thank you. Credit is really to the Garmin camera. It even records intercom and radio through BlueTooth. No wires. It is amazing how far these things have progressed. I bought mine on eBay.

charger81 01-05-2021 06:42 PM

Next evolution will be to point the camera(s) to the side and capture the expressions of astonishment of your fellow drivers and their passengers.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:26 AM.