VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   RV-14 (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   Countersunk wrong side of thick piece (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=190505)

JDBoston 12-28-2020 02:10 PM

Countersunk wrong side of thick piece
 
I have an email out to support, but am thinking through the ramifications of my latest mistake and wonder if this is salvageable without part replacement. This is from the fuselage page 25-05 and is the bearing bracket.

https://imgur.com/BbSxEnj

It is a thick piece, and a universal head (ad4) will be going in that hole. The backside is countersunk and behind that is another thick spar piece. The way this happened is that I prepped two chapter's worth of parts and didn't look closely enough at which of the web holes they were talking about for this piece. Luckily this is the only real mistake.

Thoughts?

Ron B. 12-28-2020 02:59 PM

Not an engineer and you should pass this suggestion through Van's, but could you drill out three rivets leaving a hole in the tapered part of the rivets with no stem? Like tapered bushings and glue them in the counter sinks holes to fill the holes , then put the called out rivets through the assembly ? Just a thought where as there is plenty of material for strength.

Taltruda 12-28-2020 03:05 PM

Another option is to move on to other jobs, add this to a list of replacement parts, and next screw up, you buy both parts to combine shipping! I don't know where in the build this part is, and it looks small, but you know it's not correct, even if it may turn out structurally ok, you know it's there. .

JDBoston 12-28-2020 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taltruda (Post 1489360)
Another option is to move on to other jobs, add this to a list of replacement parts, and next screw up, you buy both parts to combine shipping! I don't know where in the build this part is, and it looks small, but you know it's not correct, even if it may turn out structurally ok, you know it's there. .

Thanks Tom. That's my usual way of working, and I totally agree. I stopped to think on this one just because it's a thick piece on both sides surrounded by lots of bolts and screws. I am about to click on reorder anyways and was curious about this kind of situation in general with thick material.

Bavafa 12-28-2020 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron B. (Post 1489357)
Not an engineer and you should pass this suggestion through Van's, but could you drill out three rivets leaving a hole in the tapered part of the rivets with no stem? Like tapered bushings and glue them in the counter sinks holes to fill the holes , then put the called out rivets through the assembly ? Just a thought where as there is plenty of material for strength.

I wonder how one can drill into the head of that tapered part for the rivet to pass thru?

Taltruda 12-28-2020 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bavafa (Post 1489369)
I wonder how one can drill into the head of that tapered part for the rivet to pass thru?

Using a lathe? Drill the hole, then turn a taper, then part it off?

Ron B. 12-28-2020 06:08 PM

Why not just put the stem of a rivet in a lathe and drill a 1/8" hole in the head until it parts from the stem?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:31 AM.