VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   ADS-B (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Possible AD for certain NAVWORX ADS-B Units (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=142967)

Chkaharyer99 11-22-2016 10:10 AM

FAA logo
Press Release
For Immediate Release
Date: November 22, 2016
Phone: (817) 222-4455
Email: lynn.lunsford@faa.gov
You are subscribed to News updates for the Federal Aviation Administration. A new Press Release is now available. We've included a copy of the release in this email.
FORT WORTH, Texas – The U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Aviation Administration today issued an emergency order suspending the authorization NavWorx Inc. uses to manufacture certain Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast (ADS-B) navigation units. Such units, when properly manufactured and operated, help to improve the safety and efficiency of aircraft operations.

The authorization, known as a Technical Standard Order Authorization (TSOA), enables suppliers to produce components for use on aircraft after proving that each component meets FAA standards. Federal regulations set forth FAA’s authority to inspect suppliers’ quality systems, facilities, technical data, and products to determine whether they meet safety standards. These regulations also provide that FAA may witness any tests necessary to determine a product’s compliance.

The suspension order was issued after NavWorx declined on repeated occasions to allow FAA personnel to conduct the required inspections. The suspension is immediate and will remain in effect until NavWorx consents to the inspections and demonstrates compliance with FAA standards.

The FAA is concerned that two versions of the company’s ADS600-B units, carrying part numbers 200-0012 and 200-0013, may contain an internal Global Positioning System (GPS) chip that does not meet the FAA’s minimum performance standards for transmitting an aircraft’s accurate location.

On June 29, the FAA requested to inspect NavWorx’s facility to determine the specific GPS unit and software installed in part numbers 200-0012 and 200-0013, and if the units are marked correctly. NavWorx informed the inspector that he would not be allowed inside the company’s facility. During subsequent correspondence, NavWorx agreed to allow an Aug. 31 inspection but then denied access when FAA inspectors arrived.

NavWorx later agreed to allow inspectors into the facility on Nov. 21 but they were again denied access.

Due to the company’s unwillingness to comply with these requirements, the FAA has determined that NavWorx’s continued use of its FAA authorization is contrary to the interests of safety in air commerce. During the suspension, NavWorx may not mark or otherwise indicate that its ADS600-B units meet FAA standards.

dtw_rv6 11-22-2016 12:22 PM

Tinfoil hat time?

A buddy of mine tells me that his EXP unit stopped receiving traffic and weather today after about 5 minutes of use in flight. It has been working fine all summer long.

I don't believe that the ADSB protocol includes any information about the manufacturer of the equipment sending a signal. He did not send for one of the compliance reports so I don't see any way they can remotely detect what kind of UAT he has in his airplane.

Can anyone confirm this?

Don

Jordan1976 11-22-2016 12:35 PM

There is no way to know what transmitting device you are using when outside the plane.

Additionally, weather is broadcast to everyone all the time, even if there are no planes around. They can't shut off weather to one plane even if they wanted to. They can kind of shut of traffic, but not "all" of it unless they shut off traffic to all planes.

rleffler 11-22-2016 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtw_rv6 (Post 1128605)
A buddy of mine tells me that his EXP unit stopped receiving traffic and weather today after about 5 minutes of use in flight. It has been working fine all summer long.

I don't believe that the ADSB protocol includes any information about the manufacturer of the equipment sending a signal. He did not send for one of the compliance reports so I don't see any way they can remotely detect what kind of UAT he has in his airplane.

Can anyone confirm this?

Don

I can confirm that they do know what equipment is sending packets. If you've received a validation report from the FAA, it will show everything that they collect.

GalinHdz 11-22-2016 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan1976 (Post 1128611)
Additionally, weather is broadcast to everyone all the time, even if there are no planes around.

FIS-B (Wx) is only sent when the ground station receives a query from an ADS-B unit indicating it can receive data on 978Mhz. Otherwise. nothing is transmitted on 978Mhz. This is part of your OUT software configuration. So if you have 1090Mhz OUT but no 978 IN, WX is not transmitted.

:cool:

Radomir 11-22-2016 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GalinHdz (Post 1128625)
FIS-B (Wx) is only sent when the ground station receives a query from an ADS-B unit indicating it can receive data on 978Mhz. Otherwise. nothing is transmitted on 978Mhz. This is part of your OUT software configuration. So if you have 1090Mhz OUT but no 978 IN, WX is not transmitted.

:cool:

Then those with Stratus, Stratux, Garmin equipment etc.. would never receive any weather ;) cause they never broadcast anything.. only receive... but practice says otherwise (that what Jordan wrote is correct)..

Jordan1976 11-22-2016 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GalinHdz (Post 1128625)

Not true. ADS-B ground stations always uplink FIS-B. This is how portable ADS-B receivers work even though they have no ADS-B OUT at all.

Now, traffic (ADS-R and TIS-B) is only up-linked if the ground station knows about you. The ground station builds a "puck" of aircraft around you. However, even without this, you can see traffic sent to other ADS-B clients in your area. Again, the way that portables work and show some traffic even though they don't have OUT.

If two planes with ADS-B out fly next to one another, the ground station doesn't send two sets of other aircraft out, it knows that when it sends it out once, each plane can see it.

Here's a good page from the FAA on how it all works:
https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipadsb/ins_and_outs/

Quote:

Flight Information Services ? Broadcast (FIS-B)
FIS-B provides the meteorological and aeronautical data to the cockpit. This service is not a client-based service, but rather is always broadcast into the airspace on the UAT frequency. This information is not broadcast on the 1090MHz frequency.

GalinHdz 11-22-2016 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan1976 (Post 1128634)
Not true. ADS-B ground stations always uplink FIS-B. This is how portable ADS-B receivers work even though they have no ADS-B OUT at all.

Now, traffic (ADS-R and TIS-B) is only up-linked if the ground station knows about you. The ground station builds a "puck" of aircraft around you. However, even without this, you can see traffic sent to other ADS-B clients in your area. Again, the way that portables work and show some traffic even though they don't have OUT.

If two planes with ADS-B out fly next to one another, the ground station doesn't send two sets of other aircraft out, it knows that when it sends it out once, each plane can see it.

Here's a good page from the FAA on how it all works:
https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipadsb/ins_and_outs/

You are correct. FIS-B tends to be well detailed within the broadcast radius of the ground station from which it’s being sent. To save bandwidth, it becomes somewhat less detailed the further out you look from the ground station and is independent of the aircraft. I was confusing apples and oranges again.

erich weaver 11-22-2016 02:46 PM

And now back to the real story:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chkaharyer99 (Post 1128562)
Due to the company?s unwillingness to comply with these requirements, the FAA has determined that NavWorx?s continued use of its FAA authorization is contrary to the interests of safety in air commerce. During the suspension, NavWorx may not mark or otherwise indicate that its ADS600-B units meet FAA standards.

Yowza. That does not bode well for NavWorx's future in ADSB.

erich

MS19087 11-22-2016 08:44 PM

Very disappointing

I was a very early adopter. Paid $$$. I hope Bill has a plan. Time to let them in Bill!