VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   RV-6/6A (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Aluminum angle material substitute? (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=181411)

Coaltowngarage 04-14-2020 05:59 PM

Aluminum angle material substitute?
 
Building this early 90s kit. Was passed around a bit over the years. As you can imagine...theres stuff missing. On my plans, it calls for an aluminum angle 1 inch by 1 1/4 by 1/8 that runs from the lower corner of the firewall to the wing spar bulkhead 604. I see on vans website they do not carry a 1 x 1.25 x. 125 angle. I appears that vans no longer offers this size angle. Does anyone know of an acceptable replacement material for this section? It appears to be the only place on the plane that this dimension material is called for.

pazmanyflyer 04-14-2020 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coaltowngarage (Post 1422406)
Building this early 90s kit. Was passed around a bit over the years. As you can imagine...theres stuff missing. On my plans, it calls for an aluminum angle 1 inch by 1 1/4 by 1/8 that runs from the lower corner of the firewall to the wing spar bulkhead 604. I see on vans website they do not carry a 1 x 1.25 x. 125 angle. I appears that vans no longer offers this size angle. Does anyone know of an acceptable replacement material for this section? It appears to be the only place on the plane that this dimension material is called for.

Order the AA6-125X1 1/2X2X10 (10" or 30") and fabricate the required piece. This is a structural piece with a radius at the interior vertex. Don't sub it with a piece from the local metal shop.
https://shop.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bi...&product=angle

Larco 04-14-2020 06:09 PM

Get the next size larger and trim it to size using the band saw. IIRC back in the 90s we had to trim one side of an angle a time or two as we moved through he build.

Coaltowngarage 04-14-2020 06:22 PM

...was hoping that wouldn't be the answer, that sucker is 27 inches long. Oh well, moving right along:)

Coaltowngarage 04-14-2020 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pazmanyflyer (Post 1422410)
Order the AA6-125X1 1/2X2X10 (10" or 30") and fabricate the required piece. This is a structural piece with a radius at the interior vertex. Don't sub it with a piece from the local metal shop.
https://shop.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bi...&product=angle

I have the pieces I believe you are referring to, these are long sections about 27 inches long.

rmartingt 04-14-2020 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coaltowngarage (Post 1422419)
...was hoping that wouldn't be the answer, that sucker is 27 inches long. Oh well, moving right along:)

Tip: mark the line, lube it well, cut just outside it with the bandsaw, dress it in with a file and scotchbrite wheel as required. If the leg is just a hair wide it's not an issue.

I had to "rip" a lot of angles like that when I was working on a Sonex build a while back and got pretty good at it. One of these days I may get back to it again, after the RV is done...

Coaltowngarage 04-14-2020 06:35 PM

Thanks guys, I know what I have to do :cool:

PaulvS 04-14-2020 06:39 PM

Aircraft Spruce
 
Aircraft Spruce online catalog shows 6061T6 in 1 1/4 x 1 1/4 x 1/8 for $6.85 per foot, which is another option. The 1 1/2 x 2 is actually cheaper which is probably why Vans supplies this size, though it does not account for the builder effort to cut it down!

David Paule 04-14-2020 07:14 PM

A coarse Vixen file cuts rapidly and leaves a smooth surface. Use a mill file to do the edges.

Dave

bjdecker 04-15-2020 06:43 AM

Check the store again...
 
Yes they do...


Search for

AA6-125X1X1 1/4

5 inch for $3.20
5 feet for $13.60

Cheers.

B


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:48 PM.