VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   RV-10 (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Alternative R10 Engine (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=200092)

ajay 10-14-2021 02:44 PM

Alternative R10 Engine
 
Anyone looking at the Continental CD-300 turbocharged Diesel, FADEC controlled burns jet fuel with 300 hp.

Auburntsts 10-14-2021 02:52 PM

What’s it cost and weigh?

DanH 10-14-2021 02:52 PM

Doesn't matter. I've not been tracking things like I was, but I doubt you can buy one.

rocketman1988 10-14-2021 04:05 PM

...and
 
Might want to talk to the guy with the CD-230(?) that he had on his -10...

KMMUflyer 10-14-2021 04:46 PM

CD155 DIESEL
 
Not to derail the discussion...

Apples to Pears comparison.

I saw a current ad for a prop strike 2015 CONTINENTAL CD155 DIESEL
The photos didn't look pretty. Not sure if it speaks to the severity of the prop strike, the fragility of the design, or neither.

Chuck

ajay 10-14-2021 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auburntsts (Post 1561937)
Whatís it cost and weigh?

Iím just curious. Itís the engine on the Diamond DA50RG, something it took them years to decide on.

Hereís the spec sheet

http://www.continental.aero/diesel/engines/cd300.aspx

The performance at altitude is impressive and cruises at 9 Gal/hr, but the dry weight is 584lb ( I assume with all accessories, and also doesnít include coolant ). Isnít that 130lb heavier than a similarly equipped IO540?

Auburntsts 10-15-2021 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajay (Post 1562009)
Iím just curious. Itís the engine on the Diamond DA50RG, something it took them years to decide on.

Hereís the spec sheet

http://www.continental.aero/diesel/engines/cd300.aspx

The performance at altitude is impressive and cruises at 9 Gal/hr, but the dry weight is 584lb ( I assume with all accessories, and also doesnít include coolant ). Isnít that 130lb heavier than a similarly equipped IO540?

Yeah it's at least over 100lbs heavier than a 540 - that's a huge problem. I'm betting it's significantly more expensive than a new 540 too.. As a result, I thinking that for most the juice simply wouldn't be worth the squeeze.

airguy 10-15-2021 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanH (Post 1561938)
Doesn't matter. I've not been tracking things like I was, but I doubt you can buy one.

As Dan said, it doesn't matter. Continental won't sell them to the experimental market. I've been trying for years.

David Z 10-15-2021 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auburntsts (Post 1562028)
Yeah it's at least over 100lbs heavier than a 540 - that's a huge problem. I'm betting it's significantly more expensive than a new 540 too.. As a result, I thinking that for most the juice simply wouldn't be worth the squeeze.

Rough napkin math here, comparing to a similar gasoline engine like the -540. The diesel is burning 10lbs/hr less fuel (9gal/hr @ 6.7lbs/gal diesel versus 12gal/hr @ 6.0gal/hr gasoline). For an engine that's 100lbs heavier, the flight time for break even payload capacity is 10 hours!

TS Flightlines 10-15-2021 08:03 PM

Go ahead---if you can find one. Eat lunch first, 'cause you be doing ALL of your own engineering, and fabricating everything.
So unless you are an excellent welder, fiberglass/carbon fiber guy, aluminum fabricator, and an aeronautical engineer that can figure all of this out-----
you might rethink it. Yep sounds fabulous, but probably not practical.

Tom


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:02 PM.