VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   RV-9/9A (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   My new LiFePo battery... (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=115447)

SHIPCHIEF 07-20-2014 04:15 PM

What Mike & everyone else said. Plus:
Save some more weight;
Cover the foam with packing tape before you put on the fiberglass.
Once the fiberglass outer shell has set up, drill holes in it (top & bottom) and melt out the foam with some acetone. Drill big 'lightening' holes in it. Pick out the tape remnants.
Then you will have a hollow skeletonized fiberglass support box. Still plenty strong for such a light battery.
But really! the foam will do the job. In fact, you could take a drill & band saw and cut out a lot of the blue foam until all that remains is some support ribs in the bottom and 4 corner support / guides.
You did pick the LiFePO4 to reduce weight, right?
PS; I just remembered Dan Horton's study on fire wall protection. Fiberglass, Blue foam and wood are all flammable, and might not be the best choice forward of the firewall. If you are going to use these materials, use the least amount possible, and consider the effect of it burning away (example: hot battery tilts and shorts against structure)

sailvi767 07-20-2014 10:57 PM

You might also want to consider if the type of foam used will produce toxic fumes in the event of a overheat.

George

Bevan 05-15-2015 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RV7Guy (Post 899314)
Information has it that Shorai is going to have a drop in replacement for the 680. They will be at Oshkosh.

Any word if Shorai actually is intending to produce a drop in replacement for the PC680? and when?

Bevan

RV7Guy 05-15-2015 01:16 PM

Not now

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bevan (Post 983108)
Any word if Shorai actually is intending to produce a drop in replacement for the PC680? and when?

Bevan

Talked to them today. They said they don't have plans to do that right now. I sensed they were a little nervous about the airplane application. The Shorai LFX36-L3-BS12 is the closest in size. I did not take the time to compare the EarthX product but will be looking at them too.

Shorai L 6.55" W 3.39" H 6.10" Weight 4.96 lbs $396

Odyssey L 7.27" W 3.11" H 7.55" Weight 15.4 lbs $115-$130

EarthX Lithium 05-15-2015 04:03 PM

Shorai specifically says not to use in an aircraft....yet people do

Quote:

Originally Posted by RV7Guy (Post 983128)
Talked to them today. They said they don't have plans to do that right now. I sensed they were a little nervous about the airplane application. The Shorai LFX36-L3-BS12 is the closest in size. I did not take the time to compare the EarthX product but will be looking at them too.

Shorai L 6.55" W 3.39" H 6.10" Weight 4.96 lbs $396

Odyssey L 7.27" W 3.11" H 7.55" Weight 15.4 lbs $115-$130

Thank you Darwin for contacting EarthX today and I had a chance to read through this thread.

I find it very important to point out that Shorai not only does not recommend their batteries for aircraft use verbally, but also specifically mention not to use the batteries in aircraft in writing on their website, and also exclude any type of warranty coverage if used in an aircraft. They have no manual, no discharge curves, no parameters for use and most importantly, no protection. They do not protect from over discharge, over charge, short circuit, nor even have cell balancing built in. They have lithium cells in a plastic case which might be good enough for a motorcycle where you just pull over, but they go out of their way to say not to use them in aircraft and yet there is people still doing it. If a manufacturer knows they do not have a safe product for this type of application and warn you not to use it, you are most definitely doing it at a risk. The physical size of a battery fitting in a battery box should not be the determining factor on if you should use it.

EarthX does not only have a website with a dedicated experimental aircraft section, but we also currently have 11 OEM aircraft manufacturers that have qualified the ETX series of batteries through their own R & D departments and are using them in the factory built planes or kits. We have manuals, parameters, and warranty coverage for this application. Not all batteries are created equal.

Kathy

EarthX Lithium 05-15-2015 04:11 PM

Wrong company

[quote=RV7Guy;899314]
Information has it that Shorai is going to have a drop in replacement for the 680. They will be at Oshkosh.

I do believe there is a mix up on companies here. Shorai does not market nor attend any aircraft shows and they are not going to Oshkosh. But, EarthX at www.earthxmotorsports.com does and the rumors are right! We really do listen to you and love to see you at the shows with your thoughts and ideas and we are coming out with some new products. One is going to be a new model, the ETX680 and you guess it, it will be a drop in replacement for the PC680. :)

Kathy

Bevan 05-16-2015 03:11 AM

Thanks for the clarification Kathy!

Can you say when the 680 replacement will be available?

I will be needing a battery by mid June.

Bevan

RV7Guy 05-16-2015 06:36 AM

Last year.

[quote=EarthX Lithium;983165]
Quote:

Originally Posted by RV7Guy (Post 899314)

I do believe there is a mix up on companies here. Shorai does not market nor attend any aircraft shows and they are not going to Oshkosh. But, EarthX at www.earthxmotorsports.com does and the rumors are right! We really do listen to you and love to see you at the shows with your thoughts and ideas and we are coming out with some new products. One is going to be a new model, the ETX680 and you guess it, it will be a drop in replacement for the PC680. :)

Kathy

Last year they were indeed intending on being at Oshkosh and they were planning on getting into the market. Obviously their business plan changed.

Thanks for quickly answering my emails. I'll be buying my EarthX soon.

EarthX Lithium 05-16-2015 07:21 AM

PC680 Replacement

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bevan (Post 983256)
Thanks for the clarification Kathy!

Can you say when the 680 replacement will be available?

I will be needing a battery by mid June.

Bevan

Hi Bevan,

We have been working on the model diligently since the Vans Forum here asked so kindly about wanting this. We developed the Quick Connect cable after Oshkosh last year when builders/pilots asked for it and this new model is expected to be released and ready by mid June. http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...lies/smile.gif

Kathy

Bevan 05-16-2015 09:11 PM

Thanks Kathy,

Do you have preliminary specs for the 680?

Approximate price?

Can you take an advance order?

Bevan