VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   RV-10 (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Standby alternator on vacuum pad installation pictures required (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=199699)

Michael Wellenzohn 10-01-2021 02:33 PM

Standby alternator on vacuum pad installation pictures required
 
2 Attachment(s)
Hi,

I am planning to add a standby alternator on my TMX-IO540 which has the 45į oil filter adapter installed (see pictures).
I read that an extension for the oil filter and alternator is required but I struggle to see where the interference would be.
The second picture shows the installed engine with the vacuum port, and angled oil filter in the background. Sorry for the bad picture quality.

Has anybody installed a B&C BC410-H or Planepower FS1-14 standby alternator with pictures of their installation?

Kind Regards
Michael

Ron B. 10-01-2021 02:42 PM

If your going to install one , please be advised to do so before installing the mag. Just finished installing one and didn't want to touch the E-mag that was factory installed and one nut was almost impossible to get started and then torqued. Once started , torqueing was just manufacturing/modifying a wrench and welding a socket to it.
Can take a photo but it's installed on an IO-390.

BlackhawkSP 10-01-2021 03:06 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Wellenzohn (Post 1559113)
Hi,

I am planning to add a standby alternator on my TMX-IO540 which has the 45į oil filter adapter installed (see pictures).
I read that an extension for the oil filter and alternator is required but I struggle to see where the interference would be.
The second picture shows the installed engine with the vacuum port, and angled oil filter in the background. Sorry for the bad picture quality.

Has anybody installed a B&C BC410-H or Planepower FS1-14 standby alternator with pictures of their installation?

Kind Regards
Michael


I rooted through some of my build pictures. I hope these help. It's no big deal, but you will need the extension.

Michael Wellenzohn 10-01-2021 03:45 PM

Thank you for your pictures Larry. It looks to me as if the oil filter adapter on my TMX-IO540 came already with an extension from the factory. Comparing the pictures it looks as if Iíll only need the extension for the alternator.

Kind regards
Michael

rapid_ascent 10-01-2021 05:13 PM

I'm not sure about the 540 but on the 360 and my 370 the extension can't be too long. My engine came with a longer extension, 2" I think and I had to buy a shorter one so that it would work with my standby alternator. I still have the longer extension if that will work for you.

rleffler 10-01-2021 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Wellenzohn (Post 1559129)
Thank you for your pictures Larry. It looks to me as if the oil filter adapter on my TMX-IO540 came already with an extension from the factory. Comparing the pictures it looks as if Iíll only need the extension for the alternator.

Kind regards
Michael

I would inquire with B&C via email about spacer length since you already have one on your oil adapted to validate itís the appropriate length. I couldnít find any photos, but mine look just like Larryís.

dwranda 10-01-2021 11:35 PM

Is it possible to install the one nut without removing the pmag? It looks like there is no access to get even a finger in there. I am installing one soon too and it looks to me like my pmag has to come off.

rleffler 10-02-2021 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwranda (Post 1559213)
Is it possible to install the one nut without removing the pmag? It looks like there is no access to get even a finger in there. I am installing one soon too and it looks to me like my pmag has to come off.

I had to take my mag off as well as fabricating a tool to get one nut tighten. I used a slim profile ratcheting wrench and cut it down to fit in the space. I donít recall the exact length, but it wasnít much more than an inch. Iíve modified many tools from Harbor Freight for special single tasks like this.

With the profiles of the oil filter, itís spacers, and the alternator and itís spacers, there isnít much room to get tools on all the nuts. But it can be done with a little thought and ingenuity.

hgerhardt 10-02-2021 06:56 AM

watch those spacers
 
1 Attachment(s)
Re: those backup alt spacers: Need to be careful that the overhang moment isn't exceeded of the vacuum pump pad. The Lycoming TCDS only allows a max of 25 in-lb and if a 1" spacer is used with that BC410 backup alternator, you're at 24 in-lb. Reference the B&C BC410 drawing and the Lyc TCDS below.

Attachment 16584

Ron B. 10-02-2021 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwranda (Post 1559213)
Is it possible to install the one nut without removing the pmag? It looks like there is no access to get even a finger in there. I am installing one soon too and it looks to me like my pmag has to come off.

It is possible, took us over three hours on that one nut to get it started. Ended up taping the nut to a small very flexible tubing which allowed the nut to stay lined up while rotating. Made a special crows foot to torque.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:28 AM.