VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   RV-12/RV-12iS (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   RV-12 Instructor at KAWO (Arlington, WA) (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=195537)

N804RV 05-21-2021 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtlongdon (Post 1527364)
Thanks for the ideas. Unfortunately, my situation is a bit more complicated. If you read my original post, I haven't flown in 20 years, so I have no way to get myself and the airplane to Mike.

Also, I have to arrive at 5 hours dual minimum for insurance, but I have personal goals that may extend beyond 5 hours (even if the CFI thinks I'm ready). I'm sure I'll be past that by the time I'm done!

You might just try getting up to speed with Arlington Flight Service. Then, reach out to Terry Burch and see if he can give you the RV checkout.

ben barron 05-21-2021 09:21 PM

RV12 instructor

Dave Cowan CFII taught me to fly my RV12 from 1WA6 (Fall City). He works out of Renton and Boeing fields but drove out to meet me at our field. Private messenger me if you want to know more about him.

rtlongdon 05-22-2021 03:47 AM

Thanks Ben Barron, I sent you a PM.

jayapro123B 05-23-2021 09:56 PM

Rv 12 instructions

Terry Burch is the one. Call him at 360 708 6645

jrock836 05-23-2021 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtlongdon (Post 1527177)
Does anyone have any recommendations of an instructor at or near KAWO- Arlington, WA?

It appears the wife and I will be the owners of an RV-12 within the next week and now I just need to learn to fly again!

I haven't flown in 20 years, but lots of time in turbines, taildraggers and other fun stuff. Only thing close to an LSA I've owned or flown are Champs, T-crafts, luscombes, C-120/140's... I can promise it should be a super entertaining BFR for one with the intestinal fortitude to take it on ;) :D :eek:

Regards to all! :)

I was in a similar situation, not having flown in years and bought a plane out of state. I found it less expensive to pay a CFI's expenses including hourly instruction rate, meals, hotel room and airline ticket.

If you have to travel and pay the hourly rental rate for 5 hours or more for an RV12, things can get pretty expensive.. I really liked getting up to speed in my own plane..

I can give you the info on the CFII I used if you're interested. He has a pretty open schedule, so it was pretty easy to coordinate schedules.

mbuehler 05-24-2021 12:31 PM

I've flown with Cowan before, I can easily recommend him :) I teach out of BFI / TIW as well and would be happy to fly up to AWO. I have a lot of RV time but only 6 hours in the RV12 so your insurance may or may not find that sufficient.

rtlongdon 05-24-2021 10:05 PM

Thanks Joe and Martin,

Ben Barron connected me with David Cowan. I spoke with David at length yesterday, and it looks like things will work out.

I can't say how much I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond and help me out, one of the many things I have missed about aviation is the great people!