VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   RV General Discussion/News (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   RV questions.. (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=191114)

Jeffkent 01-13-2021 05:48 PM

RV questions..

I am definitely not interested in building, but am considering purchasing a plane in a couple of years. This is just the research phase. The mission would be:

Trips under 400 NM
Almost always alone
Able to carry fishing equipment (waders, rod tubes, and basic fly fishing gear) plus a few days worth of clothing.
Wingspan less than 36’ to fit in my shop
Able to operate off of a 2,100’ grass strip (mowed Bermuda pasture with cattle fenced off) with room to spare on a hot day with power lines at each end. The elevation is about 1,100’ MSL.
Basic IFR to be able to punch through a layer, but I’d never fly a single with less than VFR ceilings
Aerobatics would be a plus

I’ve considered a 35 series bonanza, but the performance numbers are tighter than I want for potentially soft grass and the obstacles.

A Cessna won’t fit through the door

A 235 HP Maule is a flying truck and would easily do everything, but I really don’t need all of that cargo capacity or 4 seats, plus they are really slow.

That leaves the RV 7 or 8 as strong possibilities. I’m leaning towards the 8 for the tandem seating. Here are the questions.... Can the RV 8 comfortably operate off of my strip? Is the plane going to hold up to continuous grass field flying (no back country stuff, just grass farm strips)? Is there enough luggage capacity? Is it safe to strap a bag into the back seat for a cross country? And lastly, is an experimental a good fit for someone who has never owned or maintained a plane? I apologize for all of the questions, and thanks in advance for any advice.

scard 01-13-2021 05:57 PM

Welcome!
I think your research is about spot on, and further, your first shot ability to put the numbers together mean you are a perfect fit to make the short jump to "experimental". It sounds like that won't be an issue for you.

The only real question I see here is "luggage capacity", I would call it about the same, one up, and the condition of the strip. Hmm, the latter is up for very tight debate between -8 and -7. Very different gear design.

They'll both haul about the same. Yes, you can strap stuff anywhere you want. It seems that the hauling capacity of an A35 is way more than you need or want. The RV will jump off of your field (dry with one notch of flaps) in an instant with what you are talking about.

RV10Man 01-13-2021 06:18 PM

Where abouts in Oklahoma are you?

Jeffkent 01-13-2021 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scard (Post 1493976)
Welcome!
I think your research is about spot on, and further, your first shot ability to put the numbers together mean you are a perfect fit to make the short jump to "experimental". It sounds like that won't be an issue for you.

The only real question I see here is "luggage capacity", I would call it about the same, one up, and the condition of the strip. Hmm, the latter is up for very tight debate between -8 and -7. Very different gear design.

Iím used to making 3,000 mile trips on a motorcycle, so packing small isnít a problem. My clothes would easily fit into a soft sided duffel type bag. Iíve never even stood next to any RV, so I donít know how big the cargo compartments are. A pair of chest waders and a couple of rods isnít that much stuff. I have put the waders and gear in the trunk on my bike and strapped the rods down across the seat, so that should give you an estimate of the amount of gear that Iíd want to take. I didnít know if strapping a bag in an empty seat is safe either. Anything that I consider will definitely require extensive type specific training. I havenít flown a piston engine in 25 years and have a lot to learn. The 8 is definitely more appealing to me since I want to fly aerobatics, and my wife has no interest in going anywhere in a little plane. A tandem seat plane capable of basic aerobatics, nice cruise speeds, low fuel burn, and short field sounds like a good match. My main concern is beating them up on grass. A Maule definitely more suitable for rougher fields, but they are slow and a 6 g pull is a one time trick.

Jeffkent 01-13-2021 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RV10Man (Post 1493984)
Where abouts in Oklahoma are you?

20 miles north of Enid. Smack dab in the middle of nowhere.

swjohnsey 01-13-2021 06:22 PM

The RV-4 is also an option. It will carry everything you mentioned and operate off a strip half that long.

RV10Man 01-13-2021 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffkent (Post 1493987)
20 miles north of Enid. Smack dab in the middle of nowhere.

lol, must mean somewhere around Pond Creek.
Come on down to OKC sometime and look me up. I can introduce you to some RVs.
I'll sent you a PM.

Jeffkent 01-13-2021 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RV10Man (Post 1493992)
lol, must mean somewhere around Pond Creek.
Come on down to OKC sometime and look me up. I can introduce you to some RVs.
I'll sent you a PM.

Iím between Pond Creek and Nash. A guy that I know from work was partners on a RV8 and a Cirrus of some type. I havenít seen him since COVID hit, but heís down around OKC somewhere.

Scott Hersha 01-13-2021 07:29 PM

I agree with Stan. The RV4 would be an obvious good choice for a couple reasons. It will do what you say you want - short field capability, tandem, plenty of cubic volume to haul what you need. The RV8 will haul more, like two people with luggage/camping equipment with it’s ability to load fore and aft to balance the larger load, but you said you will most likely be solo, so that may not be as important. My RV4 has an empty weight of 980# and a gross weight of 1500#, as designed by Van. With full fuel, plus me at 200#, I can carry 140# strapped into my back seat (and I can remove the seat cushions to allow more weight) or the aft baggage compartment. The biggest deal in those two selections is price if you’re buying vs building. The RV4 is basically 1/2 the price of a flying RV8. Either airplane would be a good choice, and so would an RV7, bit if money is anything more than a casual consideration, you can’t beat the RV4.
Since this would be your first airplane, if it’s a home built and you didn’t build it, you’ll need to find an A&P to do your condition inspection annually. Any other maintenance, upgrades, modifications, etc, you can do yourself - you don’t have to be an A&P, or the builder. The ONLY thing you need an A&P for is the condition inspection sign off. You can learn to do these things during your ownership when you feel comfortable with that.

andrewtac 01-13-2021 08:01 PM

The 8 will work well, as would the 4. The problem might be the rods. Hopefully they break down. You could also make something that holds them on the belly. In my 8 in the back luggage compartment I can fit a full roll aboard bag and a duffle about the same size. In the front a small duffle, then there is the back seat if solo. I could probably live indefinitely in my 8 if I needed.