VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   Glass Cockpit (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   10" G3X Touch in an RV-3B... (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=146021)

David Paule 01-25-2017 10:52 AM

Katie, thanks for posting all this. It's very helpful and timely since I'm sorting through the "where should this go" issues with my RV-3B. Sure is a small airplane, isn't it?

The discussion of the magnetometer is especially helpful. Much appreciated....

Thanks again,
Dave

TS Flightlines 01-25-2017 11:06 AM

Hey Katie---outstanding job of creating this package. I think you'll love it!
Tom

Ironflight 01-25-2017 11:12 AM

Great write-up Katie!

The only thing you might or might not want to know after all that great work on the magnetometer mount is that Tsam's is on the aft deck, and has worked flawlessly for almost 600 hours of flying. Of course, we didn't go and magnetize any of the hardware back there.... :)

koupster 01-25-2017 02:06 PM

Fuse Block

Katie,

Rather than hinge that fuse block, you could configure it so it could slide out from under the panel. no messing with safety wire, and the fuse blades would stay pointed at the belly of the RV-3.

Nice work.

Cheers, David
RV-6A A&P

Canadian_JOY 01-25-2017 04:53 PM

If you look at many modern automobiles you will likely see their fuse blocks are oriented so there is at least some "upside down" vector on the fuses. I've never, ever had a fuse shake loose. I have, however, cussed fuses many times because they were so stubbornly stuck in their holders and some wingnut had made off with the factory-supplied fuse pulling tool.

As for your comments about GRT, I have their stuff in our current project airplane and believe it's good engineering hampered by absolutely the worst installation and operation documentation. GRT needs to pull up their socks if they want to stay in this game. That having been said, Garmin's business practices have long ago made me wary of buying any of their products. I hope your equipment choice proves, over the long term, to be a very wise and enjoyable decision.

jthocker 01-26-2017 07:14 AM

Garmin Rocks!

Hey Katie, glad you finally came in from the cold!!!!!😜😜😜😜

Scott Hersha 01-26-2017 08:13 AM

I have a similar setup in my RV4 with the tray-mounted avionics and I have a total of 4 fuse blocks. One of them is mounted upside down and nothing has come loose yet (6 months). BUT - I also have one mounted vertically on a small panel mounted to the avionics tray, pointing straight down. It's between my legs/feet and so short that you can't see it without bending to look under the panel. There is no interference, and it's easily accessible without removing anything.

Just another idea to consider....

kentlik 01-26-2017 09:51 AM

That is great Katie! You certainly have a great setup there. Looking forward to more updates

RBD 01-26-2017 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KatieB (Post 1144606)
Here's an older version of the panel layout. I'll try and put a new one up tomorrow sometime.

Great write-up and an even better panel. The only question that remains: is that short N-number the most expensive part of the panel? :D

sblack 01-26-2017 02:50 PM

I'm building a 4 with blade fuses and I have been mulling over the fuse block question as well. While the forward fuse top is removable, I don't want to have to do that to trouble shoot a fuse. I haven't been able to imagine a fold down fuse block tray that is simple enough for my liking. So I think I will be going with mounting the block on the fuselage sidewall ahead and below the instrument panel basically where the cowl cheek fairings go. So I will be able to bend down and see the fuse block, but it won't be in my direct field of view. It will add a bit of wire, but I learned on my last airplane to make everything as serviceable as possible.

For your panel design be sure to consider that the canopy frame will obscure the top 3/4" or so of the panel. I'm sure you have, but it never hurts to mention it. I am getting near the end of my FWF so this part of the project is coming up next. I am looking forward to that.