VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   RV-9/9A (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Show us a pic of your FINISHED RV-9/9A!!! (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=1742)

DeltaRomeo 05-28-2005 02:17 PM

Show us a pic of your FINISHED RV-9/9A!!!

(Instructions on inserting images into messages can be found at http://www.vansairforce.net/article...rums/images.htm)

Best always,

N916K 05-28-2005 04:27 PM

N916k

N916K became an airplane on March 3, 2005
First flight on March 5, 2005
1200 hours or so of build time over two years.
105 hours on the clock so far.
Paint, well I'll get to that one day.
Started instrument training in it yesturday. Two trips across the country dodging weather is enough for me to get this ticket under my belt.

akarmy 05-29-2005 10:34 PM

Just over 2 years old, 319 hrs TT, Been From Seattle to Virginia, Reno, CA, and other local spots. 160HP Sensenich FP.

Bryan Wood 06-01-2005 09:55 AM

Bryan & Sherri Wood's 9A

N994W first flew August 18, 2004 after LOTS of time spent in the garage. She is powered by an Aero Sport 0-320 D1A swinging a Hartzell C/S prop with a Lightspeed ignition on one side. Numbers meet or exceed what Van publishes, but it was supposed to with Bart building the engine to do exactly that. There have been some teething issues we're working through but are down to the smallest things now. Sometimes after unlocking the hanger and catching the first glimpse of her in several days I'm still taken back by the scope of what we've accomplished. For those flying already you know what I'm talking about, and for those still putting in your time building you are laying the foundation to experience this wonderful feeling in the future. While usure if I would ever take on a project like this again, I'm sure glad that we did it once. The support of my wonderful wife throughout the building helped to ensure completion and was critical several times when I was truly burned out. Now our 9A is always exactly how we leave her when she is put away after flight. She is full of gas, clean, and ready for our next outing!

Bryan & Sherri Wood "Flyin' the Flag"

rvatornate 06-15-2005 06:13 PM

Here is my Egg Sube powered RV9E 290 hours as of 6/15/05. Did Oshkosh last year, Sun-n-Fun this year. Lots of Fun!

Nathan Larson
N217JT

tcoldenhoff 07-10-2005 01:33 PM

N194tc

Here is my Eggenfellner Subaru powered RV9a. First flight was 27 MAR 2005. My builder's web journal and additional details can be found on my web site: http://rv9a.deru.com

AirWolf 07-18-2005 01:52 PM

Well, I wouldn't call it finished, as I still have the gear leg fairings and wheel pants to install, but she's flying!!

akarmy 07-21-2005 11:49 AM

TaDa

Well, after 2.5 years of polishing and 350 hrs of flying, I am always looking for a new product to make my airplane maintenance easier.

My latest research came up with this very cool new stuff that comes in a can...

It's called P. A. I. N. T. :eek:

Enjoy!

Bryan Wood 07-21-2005 01:02 PM

Nice Andy

Andy,

I saw your airplane at the Golden West this year and thought "Wow" to myself at the nicely polished skins. Now seeing this you brought the same thing to mind.

Nice!

Bryan

n2prise 08-12-2005 06:36 AM

Enterprise ready for OSHKOSH!

Here are the first photos of my RV-9A on the runway out in front of the paint shop on July 23, 2005. Serial #90622 was the 155th RV-9 or RV-9A to fly according to the Van's Aircraft "Hobbs Meter" when my first flight was posted there.

You can go here to see the entire page from my web site.
http://www.n2prise.org/rv9a150.htm

On the ramp at Georgetown, Texas - Labor Day 2005.

Jerry K. Thorne
www.n2prise.org

R.P.Ping 09-12-2005 05:36 PM

Whoo Hoo!

RV-9 N869RV S/N, 90869 flew for the first time on September 12th, 2005.
First flight was uneventful. I held the nose below the horizon on take off to keep the temps down and per the recommendation in the book. When I looked down everything on the ground seemed very small for just after take off. I checked the VSI and was climbing out at 1100 ft/min!! On landing I almost made the first turn off. I can't wait to Zen with this plane!
Build time, less waiting for the wing kit to arrive, was 19 months for a
"slow build". Thanks to my main bucker and cheerleader Doug Peterson
of RV -6 & 10 fame, all the friends who ran over after a phone call to buck a few and mostly to my wife, who without her buy in and total support I never could have tackled a job this demanding. What will I do in the evenings now.............-8?

txaviator 09-12-2005 10:39 PM

Hey Roger..........

From one Honeywell employee to another.....and from one RV-9 builder to another.....

CONGRATULATIONS! :D

That is AWESOME! I am excited for you and your maiden voyage! And the best part? We have yet another -9 (no A attached) in the air!

S-W-E-E-T ! Fly off those hours, and I'll need to schedule myself an 'official' Honeywell trip out to Arizona!

Again...CONGRAT'S!

paulojess 09-13-2005 10:22 AM

WOW!! Talk about motivation..... I live in Peoria, AZ and work at Honeywell and building a 9a (fuselage)..
Congrats,
Paulo

N941WR 09-13-2005 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txaviator
...from one one RV-9 builder to another.....

CONGRATULATIONS! :D

Roger,

That is great news! Want to come by my place and help me finish up my -9? The FWF kit came Friday and the finishing kit comes in another week or two so I'll have every thing you will need.

alpinelakespilot2000 09-13-2005 11:43 AM

Congrats Roger! Your plane looks great! Hope mine looks just like that in 1-1.5 years!

txaviator 09-13-2005 03:24 PM

Paulo....

You also work for Honeywell? And are also building a -9? Incredible coincidence! Hey, Roger gave me some great contact info (internal Honeywell numbers) where as employees, we can get some smokin' good deals on Honeywell (Bendix King) avionics by utilizing our employee discount! Would you like for me to PM you the info?

What division do you work in? I am HSCE (Honeywell Security & Custom Electronics).

Take care,

R.P.Ping 09-13-2005 08:51 PM

Thank you all

Thanks to all for the congratulations!
I flew twice today. Once more over the top of the airport for 30 minutes and the second flight was out to the practice area for an hour. Total time 2 hours and all is running well. What a rocket in the climb out! Tower told me to keep the climb going and turn North over the north runway and the Seneca on the down wind. I've never been able to do that before! I'm telling ya... KEEP POUNDING THE RIVETS IT'S WORTH IT! :)

vlittle 11-24-2005 08:38 AM

C-fvrl

RV-9A 90577, stationed at CZBB (Boundary Bay BC)
Vern Little

dmaher 11-26-2005 04:46 PM

Vern Congratulations! I was at your presentation in Langley...very much appreciated your insights. How does it feel to have the coolest plane at Boundary Bay?

Danny
CZBB

petehowell 11-26-2005 11:06 PM

Looks Great

Vern,

She looks great. Can't wait to join you in the sky!

Pete

Build9A 11-29-2005 08:12 PM

New Paint Job

RV9798 12-29-2005 02:40 PM

That's a beaute...

Vern,

I will join the 9a fleet in April or May 2006.

Pete

Quote:

Originally Posted by vlittle

RV-9A 90577, stationed at CZBB (Boundary Bay BC)
Vern Little

vlittle 01-24-2006 10:05 PM

First flight, RV-9A 90577 C-FVRL

Van's RV-9A, Canadian registry C-FVRL completed it's first flight, today January 24th, 2006. With Safety Pilot Mike Langford and Pilot/Builder Vernon Little on board, it departed Boundary Bay Airport (CZBB) in an awful hurry after a long gestation period of 3-1/2 years and 3,396.6 shop hours. As predicted for more than three years, it flew on 'Tuesday'.

Mike Langford, a very experienced pilot/instructor was very impressed with the handling of the -9A. Mike owns a Harvard, a T-28 and an R-22, however, we think Van's can expect a new customer in the near future...

Fuselage is a Quickbuild, everything else was a (relatively) slow build. Paint is by Arrow Tech Graphics in Langley, B.C.. Interior is by Flightline Interiors. Avionics and wiring was by the builder (me).

Empty weight is 1085 lbs. Engine is an Aerosport O-320-A1AC2 Roller Lifter engine, and the prop is the standard Sensenich metal fixed pitch. Mags are conventional. The panel is night VFR/VFR OTT with Dynon EFIS, Trutrak Autopilot and Turn and Bank, Garmin GPSMap 296, Rocky Mountain Engine Monitor, Garmin SL-40 Comm and GTX-327 Transponder. Traffic Monitor is a Monroy ATD-300 "Don't leave home without it". Engine monitor interface and audio mixer are from Vx Aviation.

After one hour of flight time, C-FVRL touched down delicately and taxied into to an adoring throng of two or three people. The RV grins were infectious.

Thanks to all my friends in local chapter of the RAA (Recreational Aircraft ***'n), and fellow RV builders from around the world with whom I've developed on-line friendships. I hope I've given back as much as I've gotten in support from the community.

It's a strange feeling 'flying' rather than 'building'.

Note on Photo: Picture taken as we were taxiing in after first flight. Note the RV Grins and the jaunty hanging of the elbow out the side. We knew our picture was to be taken, of course!

Final note: Having a safety pilot in the right seat is an excellent way of lowering the stress level and workload of a first flight. Highly recommended.

Vernon Little
January 24th, 2006. "Tuesday"

mike 02-12-2006 11:53 AM

N63MS Flying

Here is the current state of my RV-9A. I don't yet have the fairings installed because I'm having too much fun flying it.

Mike Schipper
www.my9a.com

godspeed 02-12-2006 12:18 PM

Propeller ?

Mike what prop you turning there ?

Captain_John 02-12-2006 01:10 PM

It's a Catto.

:) CJ

N523RV 02-13-2006 10:20 AM

N523rv

First Flight: February 1, 2006

Animated images of first flight

AirWolf 04-05-2006 08:32 PM

N379RV Painted!

Here is a picture of N379RV fully painted!

I used Concept DCC Paint, and Vinyl graphics from Aerographics. Service was great, and I am very happy with the way the plane turned out!

Ron
RV-9A
http://www.N379RV.com

jcmm 04-30-2006 04:29 PM

PU-JCI, Aracaju - Brasil

I?ve finished this marvelous airplane in August, 5th. Firts fly date. Wonderfull. Docile, speed, confort, emotions.
Working on this kit was so simple and very funny. A lot of new friends to help me on this job.
Thanks everyone,
JC - Aracaju - Brasil

rv9flyer 05-01-2006 05:51 AM

Over 300 hours and still "Some Kind of Wonderful"

Frank N821BF 05-02-2006 05:00 PM

N821bf

Pic's of our 9A can be seen on our web site, www.THORLLC.net check out "about us" for more info.

Frank

Skytrash 05-19-2006 10:44 AM

N86JV Now Looks finished with Fresh Paint

Here are a couple pictures of our new paint on N86JV. It was painted by Matthews Aviation in Yerington, Nevada.

Scott DellAngelo 05-19-2006 12:21 PM

Here is mine. Final look until paint next fall or winter.

Scott
#90598 - N598SD Flying - 33 hours

N523RV 06-14-2006 07:08 AM

Inflight Photo of N523RV

(Click to enlarge)

Inflight photo of N523RV. That's Matt Burch in the passenger seat. Photo by Josh Bickel, a recent KU graduate,
taken from an RV-6A owned by Al Stuber.

bsacks05 07-02-2006 06:02 PM

FIRST FLIGHTOF RV9 N659DB

First flight of RV9 N659DB took place at Perry-Houston Co. Airport (PXE) in central Georgia. I am a low time pilot (<200 hrs) with less than 20 hrs T/W experience but this plane took care of me very well. Climb rate was incredible! Control response immediate, and rock solid stability. It was a short flight as I saw some lightning and rain showers in the distance. It took me three attempts to land because she just didn't want to slow down! I learned a lot about airspeed management yesterday!!! I can tell that this plane will be a patient and forgiving teacher and look forward to many hours learning the ways of the RV9!
Pictured with me after the flight is my daughter Diana and son Bruce

R.P.Ping 09-07-2006 12:26 PM

Way to go!

Congratulations!

Now get those hours flown off so you can take some trips.

petehowell 10-22-2006 08:53 PM

Hello,

N789PH flew today for the first time with test pilot Doug Weiler at the controls. Doug said she is nearly as fast as his RV-4, lands much slower, and stalls like Cub. Temps all good, left wing a tad heavy, SL-40 needs some adjustment.

Big grins all around. Thanks for all the help from the guys and gals here!

Run-up:

Cleared for takeoff:

Losing the chase plane:

Pete and Doug reviewing the flight:

AlexPeterson 10-24-2006 06:06 AM

Pete, I can't believe you picked the one day I was out of town to fly the new plane! Anyway, congrats on a beautiful plane, I look forward to another breakfast runner!

Jconard 10-24-2006 06:49 AM

Congratulations!

I am of course jealous, and I am not sure how you got it done so quickly, with the family and everything.

For those who don't know, Pete is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet.

Huge Kudos, and please think of me when you need left seat balast. :)

RV9798 10-24-2006 11:20 PM

Good Stuff

Felicitation from one Pete to another Pete for finishing a RV9A. Job well done. My left wing was heavy and I installed a wedge on the right Aileron. Flies hands off now.

You will have a lot of fun with this plane. It goes fast and you can land it on a dime. Good travel machine.

Pete L :D