What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Weird GRT happenings

fodrv7

Well Known Member
Recently, I have twice set the Total Fuel on my GRT Engine monitor, after refuelling, to 160 Litres (Americans divide by 4) and found after take-off that it is indicating around 1100 Litres (/4) -which is around what Jon Johanson's RV-4 holds, but not my -7.
Has anyone seen such indications or know what might be causing it.

Pete.
PS. No. I do not have an inflight fuelling probe.

Don't want to question anyone's abilities except my own...), but I have had incorrect inflight totalizer readings twice..once when I forgot to reset after fueling, and once when I re-set, but must have diddled the knob wrong as I was pushing the button....

So I can explain both of my cases as "operator error"...

It took me a Little while before I realized that the system saves the last couple of values that you reset to, and once I figured that out, I think I understood the second case.....

Paul

Not finger trouble on this occasion

Paul,
Thanks for your input.
Something, NOT documented as usual, does happen.

Yesterday I set the FOB (Fuel on Board), turned the power off and on and the displayed FOB reverted to what was there before I did the reset.
And like you, I have seen that before. I suspect you need to do it either with the engine running, or you need to start the engine before turning the master off to make it a 'hard' entry, or else it reverts to the former. But in this case that was not the issue as the reading was normal at take-off and then 1100 odd litres on the cruise.

Nor could it be finger trouble as it takes an age to wind in 1100. You couldn't do it inadvertently.

Mistified. Will report any firther occurrences.
Pete.

I have the GRT as well and have seen the "disappearing" FF total as well. I think I read on the GRT Yahoo site that if you set the FF total, and then shut down, the new total was not stored in memory. (or something to that effect.)

When it happened to me, I reset the Fuel Total right before pulling up to the pump to shut down. Now, I always reset after startup. It's possible that the latest software install fixes this. I'm running the release just prior to the terrain upgrade, so I'm not on the most current release.

f1rocket said:
I have the GRT as well and have seen the "disappearing" FF total as well. I think I read on the GRT Yahoo site that if you set the FF total, and then shut down, the new total was not stored in memory. (or something to that effect.)

Well , that rules out the "Southern Hemisphere Affect..." :rolleyes:

Sorry Peter, I'm out of ideas...

Paul

Asked the Boss

I've emailed Todd to see if they have any clues.
I will post anything useful I hear.
Pete.

Here it is.

Just received the following from GRT.
Pete.

Currently the fuel settings (and other menu button selections) are saved when the system thinks everything is calm (no active alarms and no turning), and at most once per minute. That means on the ground make sure you acknowledge all alarms and wait at least one minute before powering off the display unit.

The next version of software will save manual fuel changes immediately.

It's also possible some invalid data made it through from the EIS that altered the fuel totalizer value. The new software tries to prevent that.

Back