What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Serious homebuilding: Roll your own autopilot

kevinh

Well Known Member
So,

Lately I've been writing software for open source drones - Mainly an android application that serves as the 'ground control station' but a little bit of code for the autopilot itself. I recently received the following reply from a cool homebuilder in Romania. He's using these open source drone hobbyist autopilots (about $200) to serve as the autopilot on his homebuilt. I wouldn't have believed it but I thought ya'll might like to see his great pictures:

write up and photos

(Of course no safety can be guaranteed or even predicted for any of the APM or Andropilot code)

Look at the Arducopter, open source and fixed-wing versions are actively maintained. http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/ardupilot-mega-home-page
No reason why it couldn't be made to work, but you would have to disable some of the R/C receiver signal logic and a few other things off the top of my head.

Hi Bob, yep - that's the project he used (though using the Arduplane version would be required). Someday I might try it in my RV, but I'd need a bunch of spare time considering I already have a perfectly good AP ;-).

Back