What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Heating fiberglass to modify

Greg Arehart

Well Known Member
So, I have a small interference issue with my mixture lever and the snorkel portion of the cowling. I need 1/8" more clearance. Just wondering if anyone has any experience heating the fiberglass enough to make it pliable and "re-forming" it slightly. Yes, I could add a little blister, but if I can heat and make the correction without having to do a layup (plus touchup paint), I would be happier.

Fiberglass guys??

Greg

I sucessfully heated and pushed 3 areas on my IO snorkel. Use a piece of pipe or something to push on the heated part. It takes enough time to cool that you don't want to use your hand (even with a glove).

The area did turn white which would indicate to me that the resin and glass separated some internally however they were quite rigid after cooling. No softness.
I did paint the areas with leftover resin just to make sure there was no porosity to cause an intake pressure leak.

Link to snorkel fabrication section on my construction page

Last edited:
TG Temp

You will need to heat the part either locally or entirely to "TG" temp, which varies depending on which epoxy was used, but should be around 160f for most room temp cure epoxies. Try not to let it get too far over that, say 170, and be warned if there is a foam core, paint etc involved it could be damaged at lower temps.
Keep it clamped up where you want it as it cools. Lather, rinse, repeat if it moves back. Usually pretty easy to coax it where you want.
Tim

Back