What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

canopy cover question.....

mtnsoar

I'm New Here
I recently purchased an RV-4, and for the near future it won't be hangared..... too many airplanes and not enough hangar space around here. I need a canopy cover. Can anyone give me feedback on the Van's covers, the lightweight vs. the heavier one? I got a mailing from Bruce's custom covers about 2 weeks ago.... are they worth the extra $$$? And can I still get a discount on one? ;)

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin

canopy cover

Kevin, I purchased the lightweight cover and have used it quite a bit. But it is really only for those short weekend trips. It flaps in the breeze and with some blowing sand will scuff the plexiglass in short order. My RV will be outside for a while until I can get a hangar built and therefore I ordered the heavy cover from Bruce's.

mtnsoar said:
I recently purchased an RV-4, and for the near future it won't be hangared..... too many airplanes and not enough hangar space around here. I need a canopy cover. Can anyone give me feedback on the Van's covers, the lightweight vs. the heavier one? I got a mailing from Bruce's custom covers about 2 weeks ago.... are they worth the extra $$$? And can I still get a discount on one? ;)

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin

Kevin I have owned both. There is no question that if you are going to tie down on the ramp, get the heavy one. THe light weight one twists and flaps in the wind and in short order will not provide the protection you desire. Leave the heavy one home for your weekend trips.

Best,

Five years back I got Bruce's heavy canopy and it has really done the duty.

A factor for me was the tendency for canopies on outdoor planes (mine is covered while in the hangar) to collect tiny abrasive particles between them and the plexi and then scuff the plexi via wind-driven waves of the fabric. I do think the heavier fabric would cut that down a lot.

Anyhow, Bruce's stuff is #1 in quality and fit; if I need another, I'll be calling him.

Full metal jacket

I went one step further and bought a Bruce's custom cover full body cover for my RV4 in 98. Really worked good and took about 10 minutes to install and after 3 years outside my paint still looked new. Absolutely bulletproof, even in rain and wind. Bruce told me a guy with an RV3 on Maui has one and swears by it.
At the time it cost $1100 but was cheaper than a years hangar rent. The guy I sold it to may sell it as he has a hangar now if you're interested. Still has 557RR on it and my name...:)

Rob Ray

Back