What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vinyl for panel

Don

Well Known Member
There is a sign shop near where I work that has done some embroidery of me in the past and they also do vinyl work. I spent some time chatting with the owner about what they can and can't do and some of it seems pretty interesting.

Initially I wondered about vinyl lettering but I've abandoned that idea for now. The 9A I'm building will have a glass panel (GRT Horizon Hx and HS) and an IFR capable stack. I'm using the Affordable Panel product with the center stack and it is mostly cut out. I'm working on where to put each switch and am closing in on a final layout.

One of the things the owner said she could do was to make a vinyl sheet with a layout that matches the panel and use ink lettering. As I understand it, I'd apply the vinyl to the empty panel plate while it's on the workbench. I'd trim the vinyl in place to match the holes layout (EFISs, EIS, ELT, headset jacks, and switches). This would line up the lettering appropriately. Then I'd cut the holes (or she would first - but I think me doing it will be more likely to be best) and I'd trim the outer edges.

Things I like about this are the vinyl is available in a high quality matt finish. The price is good enough ($20 per panel or less) that I could try more than one color and see what I like. It gives me great control over grouping switches and indicator lights and labeling accordingly (ex. the AP with momentary on/off switches for each servo, or the pitot heat and lights). It seems much cheaper and less putzy than a bunch of decals (I've read several descriptions here) and a lot better looking than a labeler can produce. I'm guessing I'll need to use washers under the attach screws to prevent bunching when I tighten the screws. The biggest drawback seems to be how difficult changes would be to make; however, if I make a change, the panel plate is probable coming off so I can revise the components in the panel. It would just be a matter of having a revised section of vinyl made and applying it.

So, if this is as good of an idea as I think, why isn't everyone doing it?

I believe you are talking about simply printing on the vinyl? I like your idea. I'll have to experiment with that.

Currently We use decals on top of our vinyl panels.

Do not trim right on the edge when dealing with the holes. Leave 1/4 inch and heat, then fold to the back side. Folding "locks in" the vinyl and prevents it from coming back from the edge.

Regards,

Scott

great idea....! you're just a pioneer!

Don, I'm sure automotive and heavy equipment have gone to this, instead of screenprinting, as it's so easy to customize the layout as you've noted.
You're dead right, I think the biggest drawback is a future change, but if you design your switch panel with a nice border around major switch groupings, it would be feasible to cut out or overlay that section with a future update.
The first application would be critical, you'd want to apply the switch section first, and then move to the rest of the panel, so any movement in alignment would be acceptable.
You definitely want to apply the vinyl in one solid sheet, and cut out later. I see no advantage to pre-cutting the openings; you'd have to apply mask over the entire think to apply it, which isn't a bad thing, just no benefit I can see.
Certainly do a little test panel and make sure the letter size and font and colour have good contrast with the background in all lighting conditions.

good luck!

That's exactly what I have in my 2006 Super-Cub for a panel. I used the carbon fiber look. I did not use washers under the screws, just carefully tighten them along with the circuit breakers. Still looks great over six years and 500 hrs later. No regrets.

Carbon fiber look

I was thinking about using Dragon Plate, but if the carbon fiber actually looks like carbon fiber after the clear coat I might use this.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with a carbon fiber look?

My Cub carbon fiber (vinyl) panel has all the labeling lazer imprinted with white. When you slide your finger over the lettering you do not fell them. I have no clear coat over my vinyl, just installed as is and still looks like new.
Ron

Back