What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

a200 question PLEASE HELP!!!!

DieselDan

I'm New Here
Ok first I would like to introduce myself.....my name is Dan S. and I work at PWM as a safety communications contractor (basiclly I babysit the outside construction contractors inside the fence) I have a A200M which consists of the A200 with the mobile mounting tray (MB-53 I believe) the radio transmits very weak not power wise but volume wise. I have spent numberous hours on the phone with ICOM and cant get it figured out. They say they cant sell me a new harness and mic but can sell me an entire MB-53 kit with tray and speaker and other things I dont need. The radio works fine in the tray of another vehicle just not mine???? Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start???? I have a bunch of wiring diagrams but am no electronics wizard by any means so I would really appreciate any help you guys could give.

Thanks
Dan

Tray

Dan, we had a similar problem with our Val radio not transmitting from the pilot's side. We traced wires, read more ohms than I can remember and finally went to a radio shop. He quickly diagnosed the problem as being in the plug at the rear of the tray. He made a "pick" from a dental tool and closed the contacts at the rear of the tray and.......voila!...everything worked! The radio was not making good contact with the tray!

DieselDan said:
Ok first I would like to introduce myself.....my name is Dan S. and I work at PWM as a safety communications contractor (basiclly I babysit the outside construction contractors inside the fence) I have a A200M which consists of the A200 with the mobile mounting tray (MB-53 I believe) the radio transmits very weak not power wise but volume wise. I have spent numberous hours on the phone with ICOM and cant get it figured out. They say they cant sell me a new harness and mic but can sell me an entire MB-53 kit with tray and speaker and other things I dont need. The radio works fine in the tray of another vehicle just not mine???? Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start???? I have a bunch of wiring diagrams but am no electronics wizard by any means so I would really appreciate any help you guys could give.

Thanks
Dan

Dan
I agree with Pierre. Check to connector between the radio and the tray. Most often, the problem is a poor connection here. Either a connector is dirty or it is not making firm contact with the corresponding radio pin.
Charlie Kuss

Has it ever worked properly? If so, has ANYTHING changed?

Don't forget the antenna and connection!

The fact that it works in another mount indicates that the final amplifier and electronics are OK.

The fact that you have continuous signal (I assume), just weak, smacks of poor antenna or coax connection.

Make sure you have a good connection between the vehicle and the antenna. A poor ground plane (the vehicle) will cause exactly what you are talking about. Modern radios self regulate their power output when seeing a high SWR to protect themselves.

Find a local HAM or CB'er with a SWR meter and they can tell in about a minute!

thanks guys I will check these things I have had it to a local radio shop they hooked something up and said it was putting out the power (like 7w) if I remember correctly, but I will dig into the connector and see whats going on. The problem is I'm no electronics guru and have a bunch of wiring diagrams but they are all for panel mount in a AC with intercom and dual radios which I cant seem to figure out how the wiring is for just a regular old handheld mic

Thanks

Back