What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RIP Gen. Freddy Cabanas

jimpappas

Well Known Member
Got several messages this morning that Freddy Cabanas from Key West died.

No details yet but he was in Cozumel probably doing an airshow?

He wasn't an RV guy but he flew EVERYTHING! I flew with him many times and even took some aerobatic instruction from him.

He was the definition of "a character" in a town where that means something!

I flew in every Pitts he's owned in the last 15 plus years except the last one.

He was made the "General" of the Conch Republic Air Force by the Mayor when Key West seceeded.

No way to put into words what a loss this is.

Sad to hear this. Freddy took me up for my first ever acro flight in his S2 down in Key West. We stopped for a few beers afterwards and he told me all kinds of stories about growing up and flying in the Keys. One heck of a character, for sure. RIP.

From a friend of mine, Gary Ward (Airshows) today:

Today I lost one of my closest and dearest friends, Fred Cabanas, in a plane crash in Cozumel, Mex. Over the past 15 years, we flew together many thousands of miles over open ocean and mountainous terrain to get to air shows all over the Caribbean and Central America.
Freddie and I early on developed a great friendship and he was a tremendous help to me when I got started in air shows.
The reality of his untimley departure has not yet set in but I will miss him dearly.
Thanks Fred for your friendship. RIP.

He was in a Decathlon and a preview flight..

Best,

Back