What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tap & Die Set

FlyerJumper

Well Known Member
Any recommendations on a tap & die set? We used our brand new "Irwin" set from HD (Yes, I know... bad choice) to tap the tail tie down the other day and snapped the cutter off after only about 3/4" to 1" in the hole (new tie down bar is in transit now).

Also, anyone have a WAG of all the sizes needed for a -10?

Thanks in advance.

Any tap will gall if you don't use plenty of lubricant (Oil- Boelube). Also only turn about a half or three quarters then back the tap out 1/4 turn to drop the alum chips.

Derrell
7A finish
Alpharetta, GA

I bought the big set from Harbor Freight. Seems to work fine, believe it or not, given how cheap it was.

My handle broke

I bought the same set from harbor freight. unfortunately, my handle broke. the black material - seemed to be too brittle to be steel - just crumbled. i ended up having to buy another handle.

I didn't have the set in time to do my tail tie down. If the tap breaks inside of the tiedown bar now that it's all attached, i'll be livid!

Jae

jcoloccia said:
I bought the big set from Harbor Freight. Seems to work fine, believe it or not, given how cheap it was.

The Irwin brand from HD/Lowes should be just fine. As others above mentioned using some lubricant and backing it out after every half-turn or so should solve your problem. good luck.

Removing broken taps

First, I haven't done this, but I would try it if necessary. I believe you can disolve out steel from AL with battery acid. I know it doen't attack the AL as I have anodized many aluminum parts using battery acid and a battery. You might give this a try, especially since you have nothing to lose.

Bob Kelly

Or, if it's not on the plane yet, just flip it over and tap the other end... I guess you might have a heavy wing if you leave that piece in there, though ! :D

Thomas

FlyerJumper said:
Any recommendations on a tap & die set? We used our brand new "Irwin" set from HD (Yes, I know... bad choice) to tap the tail tie down the other day and snapped the cutter off after only about 3/4" to 1" in the hole (new tie down bar is in transit now).

Also, anyone have a WAG of all the sizes needed for a -10?

Thanks in advance.
A new tiedown bar is probably the most cost effective solution but most larger machine shops will have an EDM machine for removing broken taps and drills from expensive workpieces.
You might give them a call and check what they would charge.

-mike

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies.

Hmmm... poor technique huh. I can believe that. I talked to some machine head friends around here also and they basically said the same things.

We've received the new tie-down bar so we'll give it another shot. I think I'll tap it this time before cutting though so we can flip it around as mentioned. I thought about this, but with two of us working on it, the cutting was already being done as the thought came up.

Just need to get me another set now...

Back