What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

empennage attatch question

Ace

I am ready to start my empennage attatch and I have been looking over plans and posts and I have a few questions,

From what I understand, the tailcone needs to be free of the empennage in order to (easily) join to the front fuselage. Is that correct?

It seems to me that removal of the empennage from the tailcone would be much easier if the elevator trim control system were yet to be done (those elevator control cables) . Is it possible to install the elevator trim cables AFTER the fuselage and tailcone are joined ? Did any of you do that ? Or is it not that difficult removing the empennage with the trim system already installed? I know that the routing of those cables is not the easiest thing on this plane. Will elevator trim cable installation be made MORE DIFFICULT if I delay installation until after fuselage attatch ? Or is it 6 of one 1/2 dozen of other ?

All opinions, concerns, and experience welcomed,

Ace

Ace...

"From what I understand, the tailcone needs to be free of the empennage in order to (easily) join to the front fuselage. Is that correct?
Yes, it is way to bulky to even consider doing it with the tailfeathers on.

It seems to me that removal of the empennage from the tailcone would be much easier if the elevator trim control system were yet to be done (those elevator control cables) . Is it possible to install the elevator trim cables AFTER the fuselage and tailcone are joined ?

The cables are attached to the tray, fish the cables through the HS, bolt on the HS then screw on the tray. It's a pain to fish the cables anywhich way you go. I used a coat hanger to fish them.

Or is it not that difficult removing the empennage with the trim system already installed?

Not that difficult, use a molex or similar plug to make hooking up the servo easy. I used a molex connector

I know that the routing of those cables is not the easiest thing on this plane. Will elevator trim cable installation be made MORE DIFFICULT if I delay installation until after fuselage attatch ?

I hooked it all up, VS, HS rudders, elevators and trim...stepped back, said TADA!! took a picture then took it all apart and stored it.

Best advice??? Follow the plans...it hasn't failed myself or from what I've heard anyone else to date.

Back