What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

plastic brakeline

avengingangel

Well Known Member
just a quick question for all you rv4 builders. wondering how many are using plastic to aluminum. ive switched to aluminum because my plastic over time heated became brittle and broke[at the caliper] not nice in a heavy crosswind. ;)

Can you tell me how many hours you had on them when this happened please? I havnt got that far in the build yet. I think VANS told me they were good for 500 hours.

well i changed the right at aprox 375 hrs but heres the thing i bought the bird last summer the lines at the caliper had been repaired prior to that as well. however it is the old saying of the harder we are on them the less longevity aswell. leave extra in wheel pant for repair.

Plastic Brake Lines

I had a draggy brake on one side and over a mile and half long taxi, it got hot enough to melt the nylon portion of the Nylock nuts on the caliper posts. A plastic line would have melted as well. Nothing but aluminum down there for me.

Back