What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dorado Kote 7 ???

mdredmond

Well Known Member
Anyone heard of or used this product? It's supposed to be a low-toxicity replacement for alodine and supposedly "provides an outstanding base for paint".

Just wondering if it works. Chromates scare me - I'm too young to play with the stuff.

PDF Datasheet

mdredmond said:
Anyone heard of or used this product? It's supposed to be a low-toxicity replacement for alodine and supposedly "provides an outstanding base for paint".

Just wondering if it works. Chromates scare me - I'm too young to play with the stuff.

PDF Datasheet

Matt,
I realize that heavy metals are bad. However, I think that you are worrying needlessly. Remember that the horror stories of folks falling ill from these sorts of things generally pertains to persons who work with them, 40 hours a week for a period of years.
With simple precautions, latex gloves, long pants and long sleeve shirt, the danger is very low. While SanChem and DoradoKote 7 improve the primer adhesion, they do nothing to resist corrosion. Know that of the 8 types of corrosion, Mil Spec Epoxy primers only resist 7 types. Chromate conversion processes like Alodine 1200 and Iridite 14-2 protect against 4 types of corrosion, INCLUDING filiform corrosion. Filiform corrosion is the one type that epoxy primers won't stop. It is also the most insideous form. Have you ever seen corrosion that looks like a worm or snake? That is filiform corrosion.
Cessna offers a 30 year warranty on their new airframes BECAUSE they use both Alodine and a Mil Spec epoxy primer.
Chromate conversion chemicals are a 1% chromic acid solution. They are mostly water. Use due diligence while working with these products and you'll be fine. Contact me off list and I'll be happy to send you lots of info on this stuff.
Use whatever you want. I just hate to see folks settle for less than the best available products out of unfounded fears.
Charlie Kuss ;)

Back