What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New RV-4 Glass Panel

N402RH

Well Known Member
Here is a picture of my new RV-4 Panel. The new AF-3500 EFIS with Engine Monitor is working great and the plane will be at Oshkosh. I did a complete new panel with a new Garmin SL-30 Nav/Comm, GTX-327 Digital Transponder, Garmin 396, Trutrak Digitflight II VSG, Dynon D10a, AOA-Pro.

We have lots of in flight Video so stop by booth 4077 to see it.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems
N401RH RV-4

Picture of the new AF-3500 Sport for those of you that like steam gauges.

You can even add the AHRS later for a full EFIS

Rob Hickman

I like it!!

That's what I'm considering for my RV-8, though I'm a loooong way from that decision yet. I'll be keen to hear about your long-term experience with this unit once you have some time on it.
Thanks,

Rob,

I didn't realize the unit would do the steam gauge presentation. I may have to rethink my panel upgrade. I have a couple of questions. Your post mentioned you could add the AHRS functionality later. Does that mean the AF-3500EM model will give the steam gauge presentation for flight parameters such as airspeed, altitude and VSI? The other question was on the retention of the AOA Pro Display. It's my understanding that the AF-3400/3500 can incorporate AOA. Is this just a personal preference thing?

And one last question. Will you have any kind of Oshkosh show pricing for the AF-3400/3500?

Thanks.
Ken

Last edited:
It's always nice to see the words "new" and "RV-4" in the same sentance. :)

Truly great product. Makes my MicroMonitor look like a steam gage.

Nice

Lesson learned (here) - Just because you have more panel real estate does not mean you have to fill it up. Wide body RV builders can't complain they don't have enough panel room.

Very nice! I was wondering about the AOA representation also. Why the standalone Pro display?

Is the functionality not present yet in the 3500 to parse the display option?

Is this your preference to have it more "pronounced" in it's own section of the panel?

How did you like the company/product/install/support overall? I am really considering them as my vendor and like many here, would like to hear your commentary!

Nice job!

:) CJ

Captain_John said:
How did you like the company/product/install/support overall? I am really considering them as my vendor and like many here, would like to hear your commentary!
:D :D
I think he is the company!
:D :D
Thomas

DOH!!!

I was so enthralled with the pictures... I didn't read the sig!

Sooo ummmmm, I guess he likes them then, huh?

I still am anxious to discover why the seperate AOA display, though!

:D CJ

Captain_John said:
DOH!!!

I was so enthralled with the pictures... I didn't read the sig!

Sooo ummmmm, I guess he likes them then, huh?

:D CJ

Good save CJ. :)

Captain_John said:
CJ,

I talked to Rob before he left for Oshkosh and he answered my questions including the AOA display. Like I had suspected, and Randy confirmed, it's a personal preference issue. AOA can be displayed on the new instrument, just not as prominent as a separate display. Having the separate display also lets Rob show off all of his stuff.

The answer to the steam gauge question was that the engine monitor version will display them if you add an air data interface for an additional $200. That price is good for the 3400 or 3500.

Rob also said he didn't plan on any Oshkosh pricing.

Very nice glass!

Rob,

I like the new screen. Very nicely done.

One question. Why not make the buttons, screen, and CPU separate items?

This will allow the builder to place the buttons in a more ergonomically correct position (but does eliminate the button label function/display), either on a sub panel or on their stick.

Having a separate screen will allow a builder to put the screen on the panel and not in it, thus eliminating the issues associated with cutting underlying structure such as in a -7 or -9. This will also make the upgrade path easier so the builder can upgrade the screen or CPU at a later date w/o trashing their panel. Granted, that makes for more parts to ship and track.

Keep the products coming!

Cool, Thanks for the replies. That is pretty much as I expected. More pronounced...

I am glad to hear that the integrated AOA is alive and well, as that is what I am planning on having just installed the wing kit for it!

:) CJ

AOA Port Installation

CJ,

I've installed the wing kit too but I haven't drilled the drain hole for the top port yet ... something about having a large hole in the bottom of the wing bugs me. Did you follow the plans and if so, are you happy with it? I'm hoping for a different solution but I haven't come up with one.

-Rick

OSH Update

After being gone to Oshkosh for two weeks I am finally back. We put 4650 miles on the RV and the new EFIS and it all performed great. After the show ended on Sunday my 13 year old son wanted to visit friends and his birth place, so we pointed the RV south and headed for the great state of Alabama.

After two days in Birmingham we decided that it was time to go home and headed for Oregon. We spent the night in Cheyenne WY. before we touched down home in Oregon in time for lunch.

We paid between $3.85 and $5.45 for gas on the trip and had an average ground speed for the trip of 187 MPH.

I can?t imagine doing this type of trip without a Garmin 396 for weather and TFR?s and the TruTrak two axis auto pilot..

The big efis screen is super visible in all conditions even when I was not wearing my glasses.

?Why the Separate AOA display??

I always fly my approaches and climb outs using the AOA Pro and it just gives me a better feeling of safety having a large bright separate display. When we landed at OSH on Saturday we landed on RW 27. The controllers had instructed us to make a turn from downwind to final over the terminal and to keep it in tight and land on the dot. Flying the approach with the AOA really makes for a much safer approach.

?AOA Wing Ports?

You only need to drill a hole big enough in the bottom of the wing for the drain tool to fit in. I have found that I almost never get any water out of the port and a 1/8? hole works fine.

We should have updated info on the web site later this week.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems

That's not so bad then...

Rob,

Thanks for the response. If you do happen to get water in the port, does it just run down the drain tool and out the hole? I don't want any water pooling up in the leading edge.

-Rick

AOA Pro & AFS Display

I always fly my approaches and climb outs using the AOA Pro and it just gives me a better feeling of safety having a large bright separate display.

I agree. However, is it possible to use the AOA Pro display at the same time as displaying AOA on the AFS? That way you can put the Pro on the glareshield and you'd be covered whether you're heads up or down.

-Rick

"I don't want any water pooling up in the leading edge"

The most you will ever see is very little water. I get far more water in the plane just flying in the rain. If it is raining outside of my RV-4 it is also raining inside. I get far more water in from the landing lights on the tips than the #61 hole for the AOA port.

"AOA Pro and EFIS AOA"

Yes you can connect the wing ports to the EFIS and the AOA pro for two displays.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems

OSH Update Rear Seat Display

We are also working on a thin version of the AF-3400 that can be used for a rear seat display. The new remote display unit will be about 1.5" thick and will only require power and an Ethernet cable. You will be able to display all the EFIS and Engine instruments on the remote display.

The rear display will be less than $2,000.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems

Rick, yes, I did shoot the hole for the drain.

I also installed a poly tube guiding the probe from the bottom skin to the drain and sealed it in place with some proseal. This would keep any pressure out of the LE and aid me in locating the drain during preflight. No hair around it, ya know...

;) CJ

Last edited:
Drain hole

I also installed a poly tube guiding the probe from the bottom skin

I went ahead and put the hole in today. I like the idea about a guide tube as well ... I'll play around with that and see how it works out.

Thanks!

AOA Pro and EFIS AOA

Yes you can connect the wing ports to the EFIS and the AOA pro for two displays.

Rob,

So in effect I'll need to get two AOA control modules ... the full Pro setup and the AOA option for the EFIS?

Btw, thanks for the responses.

-Rick

DUal AOA Display

If you already have the AOA Pro or Sport all you need is the AOA sensors in the EFIS for $199.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems

AFS Efis updates

The new system is running on a 400 mhz Intel Xscale processor along with a separate graphics controller. We have a lot of CPU power in one screen and it should allow for a number of future features. Plug two screens together on Ethernet and who knows what it could do ??.

The AHRS is running on a separate processor and is running FAA Certified Software.

I can say we are working on the following:

1. Thin version of the AF-3400 that can be used for a rear seat display. The new remote display unit will be about 1.5" thick and will only require power and an Ethernet cable. You will be able to display all the EFIS and Engine instruments on the remote display for less than $2,000.
2. FADEC Engine Interface. We already have the serial ports for it in the hardware and we are well along with the software.
3. Dynon D-10A and D-100 serial interface for the Engine Monitor System. If you have an AF-3400 or AF-3500 Engine Monitor you will be able to connect it to the Dynon serial port and it will give you the combined EFIS and Engine screen.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems

N401RH said:
3. Dynon D-10A and D-100 serial interface for the Engine Monitor System. If you have an AF-3400 or AF-3500 Engine Monitor you will be able to connect it to the Dynon serial port and it will give you the combined EFIS and Engine screen.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems
Rob, big kudos for making your system interoperable with Dynon. Hopefully others will follow your lead.

Back