What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

OK to leave primer on the tips?

bruceh

Well Known Member
I've been working on the final finishing up of the various wing and empennage tips. Sanded the gelcoat down smooth, filled some defects with micro, sanded again, and last weekend I shot some UV Smooth Prime on them. This stuff is really thick, even when applying a few light coats. I sanded over everything to get them all smoothed out again. How many coats are sufficient? I still have some sections where you can see the places where the underlying fiberglass from the molds is mated together (seam lines on the tips).

My question is what comes next? I don't have any immediate plans to do the final paint job. I want to get flying first. Do I need to put some sort of paint or sealer on these before I fly? I'm tempted to hit them with some glossy rattle can paint for a little bit of color (I hate the plain white look). I realize that what ever I put on in the interim would get stripped off for final paint. I just don't want to make more work for me if the UV Smooth Prime is going to be OK on the fiberglass for a while. The UV Smooth Prime has to fully dry for a month or two, so no hurry.

The cowling is going to be lots of fun to prep and sand and fill and sand... :eek:

I used smooth prime on my RV-10' but its been awhile. I seem to recall that they recommended applying three coats, sand, and then repeat. They also recommend covering with an epoxy primer.

Judging your final state by visual queues is next to impossible. Close your eyes and feel it with you hand. Your eyes can mislead you due to color variations. Also when you sand smooth prime, you will see places with the underlying fiberglass will show through. Smooth prime is primarily filling pin holes.

Who's painting the plane? I would ask them these questions? Different painters are going to give you different answers. He has to warranty his work, so follow his recommendations.

I would apply the epoxy primer from the the paint vendor you are going to use for the top coat. I painted before flying, so my results are going to be different.

Bob

Last edited:
Back