What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prime Jetflex?

RV7AJeremy

Well Known Member
Hello all, I am looking into different paint options for my interior and I was reading the product data sheet for jetflex and it says "Prime with JetFlex? Primer CM0480930 if required." My question for the group is: Has anyone used the jetflex without priming, and how did it turn out? Not sure how "required" it will be to prime clean, scuffed, new aluminum. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

I don't know the answer to your question. My fuselage just came out of the paint shop and my painter was anal about ensuring that a good primer coat was on everything before applying either JetGlo or AcryGlo.

Prime it is

I stopped by a local body shop and talked to the pros about it. They were adamant about priming, so priming I will do.

Primed, but with epoxy primer

I did use JetFlex for the interior, but it had already been primed with DPLF epoxy primer. I scuffed that up an applied the JF over it and after 5 years, no problems with adhesion at all.

I used JetFlex interior paint over the Akzo-Nobel epoxy primer. Has held up very well so far (still building). There is some window of time where you can put a top coat over the primer that I can't remember...

I used JetFlex on my interior, too. Much of it was primed with a 2-part epoxy primer, but a lot of was primed with SEM rattle-can primer. But it was all primed. It has held up well in both cases. It's an excellent product.

Where have you guys been buying your JetFlex / SW paints? Just starting to research it, but the first places that their website referred me to, stated that they only sell wholesale. I need to be priming my interior within the next week or so.

I'm in the DFW area, if anyone can direct me to a local source. Thanks.

Where have you guys been buying your JetFlex / SW paints? Just starting to research it, but the first places that their website referred me to, stated that they only sell wholesale. I need to be priming my interior within the next week or so.

If you go to the SW aviation paint web site, they have a list of all their distributors online. The one in Chillicothe, OH had no problem selling to me direct.

If the one that stated that they are wholesale only is local, I'm surprised that they wouldn't suggest one of their customers to purchase from

Don't know about close to you but Alliance Coatings in So Cal is where I get everything I need. Very knowledgeable folks.

Back