What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

One wing at a time QB ??

Ace

I will be getting the QB fuse and wings soon and I am considering my spacing requirements. I have a few questions for you guys that have been there done that.

1) Do both wings have to be attatched at the same time ? Can I finish the work on one and then remove it and start the other? (It would easily fit in my shop if it was possible.) and

2) Is the mating of the wings to the fuse an early step in the QB or is there a lot of work to be done to each prior to joining them ?

Thanks,

Ace

You can do it very late...

Ace,

The wings of my QB never met the fuselage until I transported to the airport, where the only tasks I had left to do were....wing mating! I was ready for inspection about a month after moving to the airport (granted, I took a week of leave, and lived out there in my camper that week....). I did electrical interface work and testing in the garage using jumper cables to make sure everything worked before the move.

Just one data point,

Paul

Music to my ears

Paul,

Excellent ! You just made my day.... I like the camper at the airport idea... I wonder if the wife will go for it !

Thanks ,

Ace

Ace,

I'm waiting until the very end. The last section of the fuselage plans addresses wing attachment but you still need to do doors. gear, engine mount etc in the finishing kit. There is only about 5 hours of work involved attaching the wings, fuel line and vent connections, aileron and flap rigging, (very simple) and the gap fairings. I'm using wing root connectors so wiring is just a matter of plugging in the connectors and the antennas. My wings are resting nicley in their cradle waiting for me to install them. They occupy a 3' X 12' space in the garage, up against the wall.

music to my ears

Thank you Rick. That is great to hear. I can put off hanger rent and the drive to the airport a little while longer. I wouldn't be 20% as far along on this kit if I had to drive to the airport to work on it.

Thanks again,
Ace

Wing part 1011-L

I just unpacked and was inventorying the standard-build wing kit. As I line up the main ribs (1010,1011,1012) I noticed that because of the way they are sometimes "Left" facing and sometimes "Right" that I have one W-1011 position that is not correct - the flange faces right instead of left. Otherwise, given that the holes are in correct positions, do I need to swap ribs with Vans or build it in? This is the case for only one wing, the other is as per drawing. BTW, I did get the W-1010 replacement ribs.

Ace said:
I will be getting the QB fuse and wings soon and I am considering my spacing requirements. I have a few questions for you guys that have been there done that.

1) Do both wings have to be attatched at the same time ? Can I finish the work on one and then remove it and start the other? (It would easily fit in my shop if it was possible.)

I agree that the entire wing installation can be delayed but I want to answer the first question for anyone else that may read this thread...

Both wings should be installed at the same time in order to get the wing incidence the same and to make sure the wings aren't swept forward or backward. The process is described in the instructions. Plumb bobs are hung from various points along the leading edge and from the centerline of the fuselage. The leading edge plumb bobs must all be in line and measurements from the wing tips to the tail must be the same from one side to the other. Angle of incidence is measured on each wing and when everything is correct, the rear spare and forward tank attachments are drilled.

Karl

ok

Thank you Karl,

My concern was for spacing and time. The bird will not fit in my shop with both wings on. :( I want to try to get as much done as possible here at my shop at home before I have to move it to the airport. (30 minutes away will slow my progress considerably) Thanks for the reply,

Ace

Actually,

The -10 does not go through the plumb bob process, you bolt up the main spar then match drill the prepunched hole in the rear spar. I plan to check sweep for my own piece of mind, but there isn't a reference given for the incidence. It would be hard to adjust the drilling process with the matched drill hole. Basically you cleco the hole, clamp it, progress drill the hole up to it's final size of 3/8". We still get to use the plumb bob for the gear farings though.

Back