What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

D-sub connectors without the shell

Paul Eastham

Well Known Member
Hi everyone,
I've got a number of d-sub connectors throughout the airplane, and in a few locations it's going to be difficult or impossible to put the protective shell around the connector due to obstructions on the back side. (Dynon EFIS connector interfering with subpanel wall is the most obvious problem area)

I plan to tie-wrap the wires close to the connector to keep them from vibrating individually, and find some sort of lockwasher + screw to keep the connector together. Maybe a tiny split washer? Might put some threadlock on it too.

Does anyone have any concerns or recommendations?

Thanks,
Paul

Safety Wire

Paul, I also have a couple of D-subs that I was not able to fit with the protective shells. I simply used some heat shrink tubing to give some flex protection to the wires where they exit the connector, and then used a bit of safety wire looped through the screw holes to hold the D-sub halves together. The wire twister allows you to get it nice and snug, and it is easier than messing around with some tiny 4-40 screws, etc., or whatever they are. I figured that these D-subs are not going to be disconnected for maintenance or service very often, if ever, and even if they are, a quick snip with the mini-dykes and they are apart, and just as easy to re-safety wire when you put it back together.

Working fine now at ~110 hrs and almost 2 years (gotta get out and fly more!)

Thank you

chuck said:
Even knowing about the aeroelectric site, I missed that one. It is excellent and, of course, better than what I did when faced with a similar issue. I could not get the shell on because of some Y connected wires too close to the connector. The Y connectors were part of the GRT EFIS installation, in case anyone would like to learn from my mistake.

Thanks for the tip!

Back