What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Firmware Update - DG now an option

Kevin Horton

Well Known Member
Dynon has just released a firmware update for the EFIS-D100, EFIS-D10A, EMS-D120, EMS-D10, and FlightDEK-D180. The biggest change is a new round DG option - either full screen on the D-10A, or split screen on the D-100.

There is a thread on their support forum for questions.

Thanks for posting this, it would have taken me a long time to notice that they had posted an update.

Now I need to go out and see if I hooked up the DSAB bus, and if that audio wire I connected coming out of the EFIS actually works...

Dynon's new DG display makes my panel look so...conventional:

20060711_IMG_3359.JPG

The bottom display is an EMS, my one and only display for all engine data...so I'm not sure when I'll ever use this. But it's cool nonetheless. The audible AOA alert is far more important to me, and it's also nice to know that Dynon is continuing to innovate and improve their products in the field for free.

I put a few more screenshots at my build log if anyone is interested: here

Now we really need to bug them to make the minor step from a DG to a HSI. I've been bugging them about this for years, and this is a big step in the right direction.

HSI isn't such a minor step is it? It would require the addition of an interface to a VOR and/or GPS.

VSI giving rate at a glance

My vote would be for a better VSI display that graphically shows rate in addition to digits. Maybe an user definable option to use the tape on the right side of the screen for eighter VSI or altitude. I am flying an older version of the software in my garage so maybe this has been addressed.

I'll second the better VSI

McFly said:
My vote would be for a better VSI display that graphically shows rate in addition to digits. Maybe an user definable option to use the tape on the right side of the screen for eighter VSI or altitude. I am flying an older version of the software in my garage so maybe this has been addressed.
I've always found the VSI to be one of the worst features of the Dynon symbology. It's small, hard to read and (IMHO) only a determined look at it will tell you anything. I've found that a quick scan just doesn't do it.

Compare this with how Avidyne does the VSI - a nice arc with a pointer, the Garmin G1000 implementation or the Advanced Flight Systems version. All of these use a graphical and numerical indicator to the left of the altimeter and are, IMHO, better than the Dynon VSI.

Now, if we look at the Dynon VSI in light of the screen size of the D10, it's understandable. However, there is room in the D100 for a better VSI.

Just my $0.02.

sprucemoose said:
Now we really need to bug them to make the minor step from a DG to a HSI. I've been bugging them about this for years, and this is a big step in the right direction.

Boy ditto that Jeff. To me a digital DG is no better than the digital compass heading thet already had. Unless you are trying to figure out angles and you like to see the comapss rose. But an HSI, now thats a powerful piece of instrumentation. Its the primary reason I bought the BMA G3 unit. The HSI is amazing.

Best,

Davepar said:
HSI isn't such a minor step is it?
I'm no software guru. If I was, I'd be working for Dynon instead of bugging them. ;)

However, it doesn't seem to be such a huge feat, to take two +/- 150mV signals from a VOR/ILS and display them as two needles. It's been done mechanically for years. Compared to the rest of the software in the Dynon units, I'd think this would be a breeze.

The software isn't the problem, although it would take some time to write. The problem is the hardware. As far as I know, there are no available analog lines going into the Dynon units. So it can't read the standard VOR/ILS signals. The D100 (didn't look at the D10) has a serial input line that could be connected to a SL-30 radio to receive CDI info. But then what about the myriad of other devices out there? The GNS-430 for example doesn't output CDI info on serial lines. It uses ARINC 429. So you'd need an ARINC 429 to serial adapter. I priced one of those this morning that costs $1600. It's probably $100 in parts plus the standard aviation $1500 mark-up.

It is a great step. What I'd like to see them add is to at least put a cheezey airplane representation in the middle of that bland circle of numbers. Would just make the numbers a little easier to visualize.

I think you will see an HSI added in the future. But it will be GPS driven and not VOR driven. Just my opinion.

Paul Eastham said:
The bottom display is an EMS, my one and only display for all engine data...so I'm not sure when I'll ever use this. But it's cool nonetheless. The audible AOA alert is far more important to me, and it's also nice to know that Dynon is continuing to innovate and improve their products in the field for free.
Paul,

They have also added an audible engine alert and message across the screen for those of us who may wish to hide the engine info. On push of a button brings up the page with the engine allert. Ron demoed this for me at SnF.

Thus I might just run mine with the EFIS info displayed on both sides.

(BTW, those are paper screens taped over the EMS on the right and the D100 tray on the left, I'm yet to power up my panel.)

It also sounds like they are (might be?) working on some type of GPS driver for the DG/HSI. They might get fancy with it at some point and do the HITS thing with it. One can only hope.

Back