What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADS-B In and Out question

dabney

Well Known Member
Friend
From what I was told at the Garmin booth at OSH and from their website I understand (I think) that if you buy the new Garmin Ads-B In portable antenna you can receive weather etc but only traffic if your plane happens to be near a plane flying by that has ADS-B out and is receiving traffic. The portable antenna can "steal" the traffic info being sent to the ADS-B out equipped aircraft.

Now, if you get your transponder modified to provide ADS-B out you can then receive weather et al AND traffic. Is that correct? Also, the traffic you receive, will it be only the traffic that has ADS-B out on board or all transponder equipped traffic??? Does your aircraft have to have line-of-sight with the antenna broadcasting the wx and traffic info?

Just wondering in the SoCal area with all the mountain ranges if reception would be a problem say flying below the surrounding terrain?

I think you have it just about right. You will get ALL transponder equipped traffic so long as there is a operable ground station generating a data stream.

I think you have it just about right. You will get ALL transponder equipped traffic so long as there is a operable ground station generating a data stream.

And if my brain is wrapped around the system correctly, you can limit the scope traffic by specifying only traffic within an altitude envelope. You don't have to look at traffic 30,000' above. Seems to me there are several standard altitude preferences in the system.

You've described a receiver system. If you use a UAT (transceiver) system, that will trigger traffic information without a 1090ES transponder or even with transponder turned off.

And if my brain is wrapped around the system correctly, you can limit the scope traffic by specifying only traffic within an altitude envelope. You don't have to look at traffic 30,000' above. Seems to me there are several standard altitude preferences in the system.

ADS-B is just the data link. so you're basically installing a modem in your airplane that will give you access to the "internet." your old transponder is like a telegraph system.

i would think that filtering would be something the manufacturer of the display does, not the system itself.

also, the altitudes you see squawking 1200 are not verified therefore shouldn't be relied upon a whole heck of a lot. i'd want to see everything below FL180. i was working a guy yesterday who's transponder was reporting 900ft below sea level. food for thought.

ADB-S

Now that is not what I got to understand. With the ADB-s you will always get weather. To get the traffic, the transmitting planes must have a Mode S transponder not Mode C. And there was a software upgrade that you had to do to the unit. This was my understanding of unit.

Back