What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Not satisfied with Airpath Compass Swing Compensate

jeffsvan

Well Known Member
Hello,

Not satisfied with a brow mounted Airpath compass.
I was not able to swing and compensate the compass to my liking.
I believe it is due to the install of a Garmin 430W which is throwing off the compass.

I understand Airpath has a heavy duty compensator one can order?
Has anyone tried this?

Also there is a verticle card compass I could order which has a optional bracket and compensator balls. Would this be a better path to try?
I read that these type compasses are Very sensitive?

thanks

UPDATED Compass swing..

Phoned Airpath to order their High Power compensator to replace my standard unit on a 2200 series brow mount compass.

The tech who I spoke to asked me to first remove my standard compensator and see how bad the swing is. a standard compensator can correct up to 30 degrees deviation while their high power unit can compensate for up to 45 degrees.

Oddly enough when I removed the compensator my compass appears to be much better ! ?

We dont have a compass rose at our airport, but we have a 09 -27 runway, and I have a compass display on my Garmin 496 GPS.

I did a quick swing lining up my plane as best I could using the runway and my taxiways as N S E W , and here is what I saw:

Engine running, all radios and panel lights on.

VISUAL COMPASS GPS 496
--------- ----------- -----------
N 7 0
E 94 90
S 189 186
W 271 271

I am assuming I am OK now? It is OK to use the compass with the compensator unit removed??

thanks guys in advance for any input.

correction card

Don't forget the correction card that should be displayed.

NOPE didnt forget.
I have 2 new cards coming from spruce.

I will try to swing the compass more accurately this weekend.

I am going to call Airpath and check their opinion on using the compass without the compensator installed. I am assuming this is OK?

Working out all of these bugs is a great learning experience for me. I understand how a compass works much better than before.

thanks for your reply

Back