What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Formation hungry

acroflyrgirl

Well Known Member
I returned to RYN from the Arlington Fly-In last week. While I was there I got to get some formation training from a couple of Blackjacks. Mark & Terry.

My past experience with formation is few and far between, and never any true formal training. I was almost instantly humbled and within our short "sortie" discovered a couple of wonderful things.
1. I am indeed an infant in this realm.
2. I am very excited to find something that is so intense and will have such a fun learning curve.

I feel like a new pilot all over again and it's great. I can't wait to delve into this arena more and more.
I remember as a new student pilot (25 yrs ago) the great learning that occured and the awesome feeling of "getting it" with various lessons.
I see this too will feed that learning curve craving. What fun.

I think I've found about every bit of reading online and am trying to put as much as possible to memory. I hope to find a mentor in the area to help me along. Not to mention someone to fly with so I can keep sharp as I progress.

Last edited:
The West Coast Ravens do the formation clinic in the April time frame. We do it out of Madera, CA. I think we already have a yahoo group for the people that were not able to go last year. I am at OSH right now but can send you more info when I get home.

We have all experienced everything you said when beginning. Wait till you try air-to-air refueling. :)

Wished you had been around TUS in the '90s when there were just two of us formation flying out of Avra Valley. Form clinic is the best way to go if you want to standardize with other RVers. Should I repurchase my RV, will look you up if you wish to do local formation flying using AF standards.

35bzh47.jpg

Try EAA chapter 1300 out of Las Vegas. Short flight in a RV.

When I lived there a few years ago, they'd have formation clinics out of Boulder City, KBVU. Unfortnately, my Piper Cherokee was underpowered & my 7 wasn't ready yet.

Here's their website: http://www.eaa1300.org/

Mike Smith was running the show back in the day. He's got a RV-7

Vegas formation flyers

Yes, there's a bunch of us in Vegas, generally centered on Boulder City. One of our carded guys just moved to Tucson with his Super 6. Carl Brownd. Not sure where he's putting his plane.
There was another newbie at the Madera clinic from Tucson, Peter Xu, with an RV7A. Think he's at Marana.

There are a few folks in Phoenix, too.

Hope that can get you started.

Clinics etc

I would surely enjoy and benefit from a clinic, in the meantime however I would like to find at least one willing participant plane, and a safety formation pilot for my plane to hone some of the basics.

The West Coast clinic had an opening last minute this last go around, sadly I have a yearly commitment the last week of April each year, so that time slot in my calendar is wiped out before I even get started.

I could be quite content for many moons to do 2 ship work, with some in trail acro thrown in.

I want to be standardized so I can fly with like minded and trained folks.

I hope between PHX and TUS area there are a few who can play. I have lots of time off, some of it is even on weekends. A lot is during the week though.

If any folks from farther, SAN / LAS etc want to set something up, I can sure be mobile .

Last edited:
Pine Bluff Arkansas

Oct. 12-14 I believe is the next clinic to be held at Pine Bluff Arkansas. I am sure in the next few weeks info will be posted here about it.

I want to be standardized so I can fly with like minded and trained folks.

I hope between PHX and TUS area there are a few who can play. I have lots of time off, some of it is even on weekends. A lot is during the week though.

If any folks from farther, SAN / LAS etc want to set something up, I can sure be mobile .

Ah HA, looks like someone has caught the formation affliction that affects a small percentage of all Van-Heads. I've wanted to set up a Mini-Clinic in AZ for some time. Looks like there is critical mass starting to bubble up. Counting Peter and Carl in your area, there is now 7 formation pilots in AZ ranging in all levels of experience that practice(or are wanting to practice) to FFI standards. I'm Just back from OSH with some of the Vegas members and had one awsome good time- Now I must get back to work and re-charge(energy and wallet). :eek:
Will have to set someting up-

formation in AZ area

I'm based in Salome AZ and just purchased an RV6. I'm also interested in a clinic in Arizona. Count me in.

Velvet Elvis

Yes, there's a bunch of us in Vegas, generally centered on Boulder City. One of our carded guys just moved to Tucson with his Super 6. Carl Brownd. Not sure where he's putting his plane.
There was another newbie at the Madera clinic from Tucson, Peter Xu, with an RV7A. Think he's at Marana.

There are a few folks in Phoenix, too.

Hope that can get you started.

Thanks, I actually work in Vegas and was wandering around Henderson to see if I could find "temporary housing" for my plane every so often so I could fly to work once in a while. Haven't found anything yet so have kept the plane home.

Thanks, I actually work in Vegas and was wandering around Henderson to see if I could find "temporary housing" for my plane every so often so I could fly to work once in a while. Haven't found anything yet so have kept the plane home.

Try asking around Boulder City about hangar space. There a several RVs based there.

AZ Formation

Forming up a few practices for our experienced guys on Wednesday at the end of this Month. These practice sorties can also serve as an introduction to Rookies: Ride along during a standard practice and see how it all works.

Also in planning stages for a Saturday Mini-Clinic for the Fall time frame.

Chime in If interested,
There is reading required for those with no formal experience.
Please PM or email me at aztailwind at yahoo "dot" com

Flying Safe (Especially Formation) takes practice:D

Addiction, Satisfaction!

Thank you Joe Blank for letting me refine (sounds better than flog) my formation skills while at the Van's Homecoming fly-in this past weekend.

Also Laura Starkey was willing to ride along and took some fantastic pictures.
Thanks Laura for saving the moment.

Oh what fun.

f1560a0f121705c8de17bd7b63b220cf.jpg

Thank you Joe Blank for letting me refine (sounds better than flog) my formation skills while at the Van's Homecoming fly-in this past weekend.

Cathy,

Glad to fly with you and increase your wingtime and knowledgebase. You did great! Keep up the good work!

As I said during the brief, you can get together with some of the FFI carded pilots in the Phoenix/Vegas area for further training. Here is a partial list for starters to get you going:

Brad Ransom (AZtailwind on VAF)
Mark Dulaney (Dula737 on VAF)
Mike Smith (KB)
There are more but this is a good start...

Make sure you get up to the West Coast Formation Clinic next April (or any other FFI Clinic), so you can get the full benefit from the classroom session and the following training flights. Lots of great folks involved in these programs and you will learn a lot. Besides, it's a great time and a very rewarding activity.

Blue skies!

Back