What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap Drive Installation

Steve Sampson

Well Known Member
Two pictures here clarify this query.

In the second picture you will see the drive lug for the flap system hanging down. Clearly I will have to cut some of the rear floor away. How have you supported the remaining area of floor so it does not just flap around? There must be a simple and tidy way to do this.

In the third picture the two bolts pass through the stamping around the aileron push rod cut out. Does any one have a bright way of packing this out. I am wondering if I should do the bolts up moderatly with a bit of JB weld in there? My problem cant be unique 'cos the bolts are where VANS say to put them.

Thanks for the help.

Flap drive issues

Steve,
For the flap drive arm clearance, I trimmed my floor back even with the frame flange,as that part of the floor doesnt do much.There is no substantial flexing there now,and the flap mechanism travels freely. I have fabricated a consol/cover for the whole stick area that also covers the exposed flap torque tube accross the passenger seat area and keeps debris from getting into the stick well. As far as the bolts throught the stiffening bead...yes I had that too. I made a little shim..looks like a smile about 1/4" wide,then use a file/snder to round the edges and fit the contour..doesnt have to be perfect.Use the JB weld with the metal shim if you want to get a real close fit..it all works out OK! I can make you some pics if you need, as I have that area open right now.
Good luck,
Bill Englert,RV-4 finishing,finishing...

Bill - thanks. It is reassuring to hear others have the same problems. A couple of pictures of your " consol/cover" would be helpful if its not too big a chore.

Thanks again.

I made the cutout as small as possible , about 1.5" wide x 1.0". I rivetted angle under the floor forward edge like you and another piece, about 4" long under the rear side of the cutout, extending about half way acrss the floor panel - it is plenty rigid enough and almost hidden beneath the flap bar.

I installed the two flap-motor bolts per the plans and they have slightly deformed the rib profile but I had not even noticed it till I read your post

Nigel Marshall
RV-4 Chevreuse, France

Back