What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How Fast, REALLY?

Polo

OK, No bull, no under or over exaggeration. I'm dieing to know how fast people are really flying. When people ask me how fast my RV6A flies I tell them the truth and they look at me like I'm lying. I'm starting to wonder if the general public just does not believe the speed that comes out of these little airplanes. All my flights are at high altitudes as I live in Utah and I'm always crossing the Rockies.

I'll kick this off with the first numbers.
RV6A Empty 1064 LBS.
0-360 A1A Hartsel Constant Speed Prop with Laser Ignition.

Summer Speeds
Full Throttle with Prop @ 2,500 RPM
167 knots true @ 10,500 Fuel Burn 9.6GPH
170 Knots true @ 8,500 Fuel Burn 10 GPH

Winter Speeds
Full Throttle with prop @ 2,500 RPM
172 Knots True @ 10,500 Fuel Burn 9.8
175 Knots True @ 8,500 Fuel Burn 10.4
178 Knots True @ 8,500 with 2,750 RPM Fuel Burn 11.2

True airspeeds are based on 3 Way GPS as well as a Dynon D10A with OAT and Remote mount compass and I've double and triple checked the calibration of all my increments. I'm 98% sure my numbers are accurate, however I would be more confident if others didn?t keep looking at me like I was some sort of big fibber.

Please post your Numbers.

Last edited:
Congrats, Fast but true

Even Van's Perf numbers put a 180hp RV6A at 171.3 kts, 8000' 75% power. You have a 170-175kt range.

My old RV4, 150hp, O320/Hartzell would do 165 kts true, 8,000ft/75% power, which is about 1 kt faster than Van's spec.

The point is Van's "how fast does it really go" specs Van posts are very real, and builders match or better Van's values consistently. That is why Van's kits have such a good reputation. In a nutshell your numbers are very real. It is true some RV's are slower than others and don't make "specs" but this is not the norm for RV's built to plans. Note: Your weight is fairly light for the engine/prop you have which helps. Some RV6A's with similar set ups weigh over 100 lbs more. Another good reason to keep it light. :D

My O360/Hartzell RV7 project is not flying yet but expect it to beat Van's numbers based on several aerodynamic clean-ups. RV's that beat Van's numbers significantly (for real) are usually packing more HP and have mods to reduce cooling and aerodynamic drag, not to mention superior fit, finish and rigging. However to gain any significant speed over an already clean airframe is a real challenge and gains are measures in 1 or 2 kts, but gains are there to be had with time and $$.

Congrats Again, George :)

We have flown our -6 coast to coast twice. Our -6 is 1030 lbs. empty with a 1750 gross. On the O320, 160 hp. with a fixed pitch prop, we burn 8.5 gph and true out at 160 kts at 8,000 msl

Not bad for a wide body.

Your numbers are consistent with mine

I have the same propulsion system as you and I see TAS numbers in the low to mid 170s at 2450 RPM all the time with a 10 GPH burn rate. I had a lot of trouble initially because Lycoming had the timing wrong but since that has been worked out the LASAR/Lycoming/Hartzell combination has performed very well. My airplane is MUCH heavier than yours but it has a 1.5 ft longer than standard wing so it may cruise at the same AOA. I have not done any organized testing to find the maximum speed RPM but casual observations indicate that it may be around 2450 with higher RPMs producing more noise and less bite. It would really be interesting to get hard numbers to validate or squash this impression.

N710BJ

Yaahoo

Looks like I'm not totally nuts, all these planes are fast. In the future when people ask me how fast I true out, I am going to respond with confidence instead of the sheepish "don't call me a liar" timid response I've been giving. My new Response will be more like... ?It halls butt and doesn?t burn much fuel; all the RV's do." Of coarse I'll say it nicely and with a smile but I can't tell you all how fed up I was with people acting like I was some kind of a liar. I had a group of guys at my own home field get into a conversation about how much they thought I was exaggerating my speeds and I had to hear about it from a friend that was fueling his plane in the background. I can?t help it if they are flying a one ton truck with the aerodynamics of an oak tree. :p

Hey, Polo! You're numbers are very realistic. My 7A does about 175 knots at 75% about 10+ gph at 8000 msl. I have the new Hartzell BA prop with a new 0-360 A1A. My EW is 1117 lbs. and gross is 1800. We test flew out to CO, NM, AZ and UT last spring and got a chance to really ring her out. These AC are "Magnificient".

Roberta
N2447A

Those 7s are a fantastic plane. If there wasn't the -10 out there I would be looking for one to buy right now.

Give more rides!

Here in Houston, RV's are getting to be about as common as Bonanzas, so nobody bats an eye when you answer the "how fast is it" question. Too many people have had a chance to see for themselves.

You must not be giving enough rides!

let 'em eat proof-pudding

The proof is in the pudding. At the next breakfast fly-in, make sure they are aware that you are second or third behind them for takeoff. When they land, they will see you polishing your windscreen. Right about then you ask THEM, "So, how fast were you going?" :p

Mark Andrews N598X
RV8A with 0-360, Catto 3-blade FP, no wheel pants,
163 ktas at 8,000' by GPS averaging

I have a 6-A w/ 0-360, c/s prop, lasar ignition @ 8K ft. %75 pwr getting 165 ktas.
I recently flew with some friends , RV-4, 6A and an 8, wing tip to wing tip and we all indicated different airspeeds. Seems everyone's airspeed indicator may have been off a bit...obviously, GPS measuring like you performed, is turely the way to show the Bonanza Pilots that we can go as fast...without the v-tail! No slam intended...."just the cold hard facts ma'am".

Rags

redbeardmark said:
The proof is in the pudding. At the next breakfast fly-in, make sure they are aware that you are second or third behind them for takeoff. When they land, they will see you polishing your windscreen. Right about then you ask THEM, "So, how fast were you going?" :p

Mark Andrews N598X
RV8A with 0-360, Catto 3-blade FP, no wheel pants,
163 ktas at 8,000' by GPS averaging
Just make sure there isn't a Rocket behind you!!

ddurakovich said:
I thought that's why you guys build rockets..... so you won't have to be behind anyone!
Well, you have to get on their Six if you want to smoke them! :D

We have a lot of good fun between the Rocket and RV guys. In the Indy group, we have about three Rockets and about 40 RVs. I hope to be in the air in a month or so.

How Fast

My RV7A has 036 superior, Hartzell H2YK. At 8000' full throttle and leaned for best performance 2620 RPM, 22" MAP. trues 204 MPH. GPS numbers running triangle course.
Doyle Reed (Casper11)

Took your advice today.

I felt like "proof pudding" was a fantastic idea so I went on a search for some right seaters. I found the two best airfield "talkers" around, the line guys. When I took the first one for a ride he said and interesting thing as we walked out to the plane. "So... honestly... what are the REAL numbers this plane will do?" Which I translated to meaning; "now that I'm going to be in your plane you can't lie, so come clean." I just smiled and said, "Let?s go find out." We took off with about a 10 knot head wind straight on the nose. This was perfect because we all know how these RV?s will climb with a push in the face. I pulled out, eased in full power and off we went. Keeping in ground affect, until just after midfield, allowed for a great show directly in front of the other line guy waiting and watching. Our field is 8600 feet long. With all the extra speed I pulled three Gs until we where pointed almost straight up, or at least it felt like it. My vertical speed was pegged so I don't know exactly what our climb rate was at but we were blowing through traffic pattern altitude before the end of the runway and before loosing all our excess speed. I noticed the right hand of my passenger clinging for life under the lip of the arm rest. "S#*$, this is fast." He said. We rounded off the top at almost 0 G?s and began gaining speed. As we got the appropriate distance from the field I did some aileron rolls to keep his blood pumping. Turning back to the field I descended to the appropriate VFR altitude and leveled off. After we had been there for a minute or so I pointed out the Dynon D10 and showed him the true air speed. He gasped ?175 knots? Are you kidding me? We are hauling a#@.? Ground speed on the GPS was 188 knots which would be about right with the increased attitude and winds compared to 10 knots on the ground. We landed and I explained the RV grin. He got it. We pulled up to the second line guy who couldn?t help but comment on our climb out. ?Coolest thing I?ve seen?? or something along those lines. His ride was the same as the first guys but the fun part was when we got back to the field. The first line guy was already talking to other pilots about how fast the plane was. Best part? one of the pilots he was talking to was the very guy my friend had overheard saying my plane wasn?t as fast as I told people. Interesting thing I noticed; my passengers began cooberating each others stories on how fast we went. ?Over 180 knot TRUE air speed.? Isn?t funny how people who accuse you of something are the very ones that are guilty of it themselves. Liars think everyone else is lying, thieves believe people are going to steal from them, and someone who manipulates will be the first to accuse you of manipulating them. I, however, can?t be held blameless in this whole story. I didn?t? exactly tell the group that we weren?t going 180 knots? true. I promise I will stick to the 175 knot truth from now on out. ;) Really, I promise. :rolleyes:

Got these numbers yesterday at 8000ft.

Alt 8000ft
PA 7850
Temp 9C
RPM 2400
MP 22.3 (throttle wide open)
Dynon Indicated 152kts
Dynon True 173kts
Four way GPS average 173kts
Hdg: 360 - 179kts
090 - 194kts
180 - 167kts
270 - 152kts
Fuel burn (Fluctuated between 8.6 and 9.4, averaged 9.0 gal/hr) (I leaned to rich side of peak, keeping all EGTs below 1400)

Bottom line, 170kts on 9.0 gal/hr give or take.

The four way GPS thing confirmed that my Dynon's true airspeed readout was accurate, so I climbed up 500ft to 8500' and increased RPM to 2700 and watched indicated go to 160kts and true go to 180kts and fuel burn go to 10.2gph.

BTW, my setup, IO-360, cs whirlwind, LSE.

Tobin

tobinbasford said:
(I leaned to rich side of peak, keeping all EGTs below 1400)

Tobin,

Try leaning to peak indicated airspeed, and your numbers may go up a tiny bit. When you're trying to "bottom line" the all-out average true airspeed, leaning to peak indicated airspeed is the way to go (plus vents closed, feet off the pedals, smooth air, etc.).

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D
http://www.rvproject.com

Back