What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Rudder Cable Guides QB, NACA ducts

rv6ejguy

Well Known Member
My QB kit has twin 90 degree brackets installed where the plans call for flat nylon guides just behind the fuel selector in the tunnel. These brackets look to be an alternate method to guide the rudder cables via snap bushings. Is this the later preferred method?

Secondly, my supplied NACA ducts hit the bottom of the instrument panel when lined up with the pre-made NACA duct opening in the fuselage side skin. Anyone else found this? If so can enough be trimmed off the duct to clear the panel and still maintain a seal on the eyeball vent?

I would suggest that you throw away the flat plastic guides and buy 2 West Marine cable covers, which are about six foot long, and install them on the rudder cables from the exit point near the front of the tunnell and near the rear of the cable covers with adel clamps. The cable guides will go through the 90 degree guides on the side of the tunnell and when clamped down will allow the rudder cables to slide inside the West Marine cable covers. Not only will the cable covers quite down the noise of the rudder cables but will also keep the rudder cables from chaffing against any fuel lines as they pass near the fuel selector.

As far as the NACA vents, I am leaving mine off until everything is finished under the panel and then I will trim them to fit. It looks like changing the angle slightly and trimming will solve the problem of hitting the lower panel.

Dave, This sounds like a great idea, I recently installed the nylon/plastic guides and am very dissappointed, they bind way too much. I searched the West Marine web site, but couldn't find the item you referenced, Can you provide a link or a part #?

THANKS

rv6ejguy said:
My QB kit has twin 90 degree brackets installed where the plans call for flat nylon guides just behind the fuel selector in the tunnel. These brackets look to be an alternate method to guide the rudder cables via snap bushings. Is this the later preferred method?

I had the same issue with my QB kit. I drilled out the guides and installed the nylon guides. I think there would be too much slack in the cable, and risk interfering with wthe fuel valve or scat heat tube. The nylon system does add alot of friction to the system, but over time they will loosen up.

Larry Rosen
http://lrosen.nerv10.com

Rudder Cable Guides

Russ:

I too agree that sounds like a good idea. Being on the slow side, could you attach a picture so I can understand what you are talking about. I might could even figure out a link to a picture as well. :)

Joe Hutchison
RV-10 Tail Kit

Cable Guides

Russ,
Are these the "snap-on cable covers" from West Marine?
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc.../0/cable cover/All_2/mode+matchallpartial/0/0
107607.jpg

The picture posted is the West Marine Cable Guides. The model number is 107656 and are 5/16th size. I ordered three of them and cut the third one in half and ran the extra halves back past the baggage compartment bulkhead past the battery as well. It was a little extra work and I used Plastic clamps in the back obtained from the local Lowes store and pop rivited them to the side of the tunnel.

Last edited:
Are the 90 degree guides installed in the tunnel by the flap motor? For the life of me I can't find where they get installed in that area :confused: . My first notice was when the plans indicated to route the rudder cables through them :mad: . Simple install just could not find it in the plans anywhere.

FWIW, My plastic guides work fine but I don't have a fancy smancy custom fiberglass console to apply excessive pressure on my tunnel like Deems has. :)

Last edited:
Back