What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Priming quickbuilds

N355DW

Well Known Member
I did a search on this but never really found the answer to my question, which is, how much of the pre-built sections (wings, fuselage) did you quickbuilders prime? I live in FL and used AZKO on the empennage, and am ready to start assembling the wings. I plan on using a different color prime for the cockpit section of the fuselage, but the tailcone and interior of the wing are rather hard to reach for my HVLP gun. Obviously I can prime the one are of the wing without the skin, but that seems kind of silly. I am thinking of just spraying the entire interior, save the cockpit of course, with ACF-50 and leave it at that.

thoughts?

You will get plenty of opinions on this. :rolleyes: The quickbuild parts are primed at the factory with a Sherwin Williams rinse solution. My airplane has been based in Florida very near the coast for nearly four years now. Those areas still look like new. I primed the other components with Sherwin Williams rattle can primer and they still look great, as well.
If I was doing it again, I would probably prime all of the non-quickbuild components with the SW rinse primer that Van's uses.

I used a good two part epoxy primer for the inside of the steps and am glad I did. The steel components are what I really have to keep after in this climate.

I will now retreat into a flame proof bunker for the duration of this thread.:D

Ah yes, I completely forgot about the wash primer Van's uses, I will stick with that and some ACF 50 I guess. Thanks David! But do the remaining skins to be riveted have the wash primer? They have the blue plastic on them which I have not removed yet. If not, I will use the AZKO. I'm going to have a lot of that left over, I think!

The remaining skins do not have the wash primer. The wash primer is only on the quickbuild sections. It is pretty easy to see the wash primer. It is a kind of brownish/yellowish/greenish (technical language) translucent coating.
Any aluminum with the blue plastic on it has not been primed, but has the alclad finish.
I think the wash primer does a great job, and am sure the AKZO will do a great job, too. I don't think you should apply the ACF 50 prior to painting the aircraft.

Thanks David, I have talked to some pro-builders who all tell me to wait to paint until after phase one, as things will move around and need to be re-fitted after flying some. Good call on waiting to spray the ACF-50, thanks!:)

My QB 7 sat in a garage untouched in FL (on the water mind you) for a number of years on hiatus. When building resumed and I pulled the rear baggage bulkheads there was some light white surface corrosion where there was metal to metal contact.

I cleaned them up and shot the parts where there is metal to metal with rattle can primer. Other than that, the inside of all parts still look new, wings included.

My 1/50 of $1 FWIW.

Back