What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

So confused (fiberglass primer)

Daniel S.

Well Known Member
I don't want to start a war here :D.... I've been reading here on VAF for quite some time. Is there a simple answer to this question without a million oppinions, starting wars, ect. Maybe there is a professional AC painter out there that can chime in. Here it goes... Are you ready... Say, I'm done preping my tips, filled pin holes & sanded to a nice paintable surface. Say I want to protect the tips till time for final (professional) paint job. I have AKZO laying around... Shall I hit it with that? What would make the job easiest on my future painter? Just leave the tips as they come from vans and do nothing? Is there just not a simple question?

Sorry for posting the same question as a few posts down.... I'm just getting lost in all of the oppinions etc.

Thanks

It depends on the finish

On the wing tips way out on my wings as the came for Vans with white gelcoat I did nothing. With the cowl which did not have gelcoat and there was original work in my garage I followed the directions that Ken Scott wrote up in the RVator several years ago to seal the surface form oil etc. I don't remember word for word what he said and you want no opinions so I will stop there.

Bob Axsom

While I would think any good primer would be OK, ask your painter. Ours did not want any primer but his.

Common advice...

I've been researching this issue for several weeks now, and find that the majority of the experienced fiberglass fab'ers recommend a two-part epoxy primer after you filled any pinholes. Any other kind of primer may have to be sanded off once you're ready to final paint. I find no one that says rattle-can primer would be OK ... unless you're willing to eventually sand it all off.

Rattle cans, a.k.a. spray bombs, are really only good for guide coats. I always sand or wash the stuff off. An easy primer to use is PPG K36. It's a 2 part primer that easy to spray and very hard to mess up.

How about E420?

I don't have a local Pittsburgh dealer that carries eitherr K36 or K38 ... they're strictly house paint guys, interior and exterior. Can anyone speak to E420 two-part epoxy primer? It's readily available from Spruce and others.

Fiberglass Primer

Seeing you live in GA, if you live anywhere near a boat yard that spray vessels you can use #545 high build primer (white). I used it on my cowl and wing tips as it also fills a lot of pin holes and you sand most of it off before you top coat. I then use a (what we call in the boat industry a **** coat) of top coat so you can see what the finished job will look like before you actually hit the whole job. If their is any inperfections in the glass, you can still address them.
Hope this helps

Back