What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3 info wanted

ShannonEvans

Guy's

I have been reading your opinions on the RV3. It looks like the ultimate fun machine. I am a little confused about the new wing braces. I would really like the wings to stay in the proper position on the aircraft while flying. I am a private pilot with no tail wheel experience, & a somewhat newbie to RV's. My experience is in the 6a & 9. The 3 looks like an economical way to start with a fun plane. I am 5' 10'' tall & 205#. Most of my trips are solo & less than 200miles vfr. Would this be a good fit for a fast overnight trip. Also I don't plan to do aerobatics. Wing issue & gross wt seem to throw up a flag. I see these priced 10000-20000 less than the RV4. If I need a 4 place I can rent one. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. I am not real concerned about getting the tail wheel part down (or should I be). Also, What is insurance in general going to cost.

What do you think
Shannon Evans

RV-3 owner

The spar mod was added to strenghen the spar for aerobatics. I have been flying mine for a while now and I have had no problems. Van says that the gross weight of a 3 is 1150lbs, I'm 6'2" and 206lbs. If I fill the tanks full, I will be over gross by 6lbs, so I generally fly with the tanks at 3/4 full. My wings are still attached and I have had mine to 195mph. As far as getting your tail legs, go to a web site called www.safeair1.com. There you will find a listing of transition instructors who can help you get your tail legs. I did mine in a 6, and the trottle was in the center of the panel, but mine is on the left. So I flew from the right side! I find that the 3 is alot more responsive than the 6 was, but after a few hours your settled in. There have been alot of rumors that Van was going to bring back the 3 as a kit again, but everyone I talked to has said it's just that, a rumor. There are still a certain number of 3's out there for sale, you just need to look for them.

rumor???

not acording to Tom at Vans, he says no can order. Now if I'm wrong, order while you can!!!!!!!

Mike

The 3 can handle your weight no problem but it is a bit of a tight fit for me...I'm 5-9 and 160 or so. Try one on when you get the chance. It is a heck of a neat machine and if its not available now it would be news to me. I know of several being built right now and one builder just had his wing kit shipped. The big strike against that kit is that it is the earliest (least advanced) kit in the lineup. I honestly think I could build 2 RV9's in the same time it would take me to build a 3. From your brief description of your flying habits I would suggest looking at the 9 or waiting for the much anticipated 12. I expect either one of those could be built on a shoestring budget for a very reasonable cash outlay. Just keep it simple and light.
Evan

Back