What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

seat covering material

swordtail

Well Known Member
What is the down side to leather seats, if any, for the 6A tipup? Are they hotter than cloth seats? They sure look great but I have to step on them twice each flight! I have cloth now and want new foam and i am just not sure what to use. Any remarks or regrets that you might pass a long?
Thankss
Stan RV6A, SO

Stan:

My parents were born and raised in Grindstone PA. I was raised there for a while.

I have had cloth seats for 14.5 years. Living and flying on the LEFT Coast plus in the Mojave Desert in the summer, they are comfortable. I do not like pure leather because in shorts on hot days, my skin sticks to it and sweats a lot.

Leather is the best but you want Sheep Skin seats just like they put in the cockpit of jetliners and business jets. Randy Lervold put Sheepskin in his RV-3 and Tim Cone has Sheepskin in his RV-8.

Like you, I am in the market for new sets and they will be Sheepskin. I have flown in Tim Cone's RV-8 and the sheepskin seat are the best of all the RVs that I have flown in.

I learned to fly at KVVS 30-years ago. I park my RV-6 there when visiting my parents in Uniontown.

Sources for Sheepskin Covers

Gary:
Any leads or recommendations? Sporty's offers covers to fit various models of factory planes. Wonder if C150 covers could easily be modified to fit most RV cushions.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323T

Back