What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First long xc with 8 & 12 yo kids to Disney World

Wayne Gillispie

Well Known Member
We are just in the beginning stages of planning our trip to Disney World mid to late May. We also plan to visit family near KSEF- Sebring and friends at Spruce Creek. The longest trip in the -10 so far= 1.5 hrs. About the same in the 172. I did my transition training with David Maib, so 5.8 hrs in the sunshine state. I am vfr only. I have on board xm wx. It looks like KISM would be the best destination at 8 miles/15 min drive. We are planning two days at WDW. I'll have paper sectionals and TAC's and maybe Ipad 3 with Foreflight by then. Watch out for the TFR, right. I will stay on FF as long as possible. I appreciate all of the advice.

Our newbie questions: Best FBO? Hangar or tiedown? I guess that depends on wx and cost, right? Best place to buy WDW tickets? What do you think about the tickets that also include hotel and meals? Is it better to stay at a hotel inside or outside the theme park? Rental car, taxi or other ground transportation?

Definatly with the kids staying inside WDW is the best way to go, use WDW transportation and they take care of everything its very easy. Go on the disney site and give them a phone call they will help you out and get you everything you need and will most likely throw some discounts in there for you as well.

-david

cost per dollar at Disneyland

We have been to WDW a couple times. Once staying at a very nice house just a few miles from the park and the other staying at the Grand Floridian hotel - right on the monorail line. The house had it own pool and was great - but we had to drive to the park, find a parking space, then get in lines to go in. There is so much travel time between the water parks and Disneyland, we felt we were spending so much time traveling, we didn't get as much time in the parks when we stayed at the house.

I started thinking how much total money we spent on the trip - from California with 4 kids, one son in law, and 2 grandkids and came up with a cost per hour of vacation. The cost of travel to the park , parking, and waiting in line was costing me more than the cost of lodging when you consider 9 people.

The next time we stayed at the Grand Floridian - at about 2 times as expensive as the house, but I believe it was a much better value. No lines to get into the park and it was easy to go back to the hotel if needed during the day.

There are cheaper hotels on the monorail line that take you directly into the park than the GF and maybe others that have a better shuttle system, but consider how easy it is to get from where you are staying to the park. If the kids are young enough, they will probably get tired before the park closes, so it wouldn't be as important. One of my grandsons is autistic, and having the option to go back to the room when he needed to relax was worth whatever the cost was for us.

If you are military, there are discounts on lodging and tickets.
Have fun and let us know how the planning and trip goes.

WDW Veteran

We travel to/through WDW at least once a year on average. Never flown in on my own though. :( Not much help in that regard.

My best advice? Get the Unofficial Guide to WDW. A lot of good info and touring plans which usually work well. A visit To WDW can be very stressful - this book (and others) will make you a pro!

It will be great trip Wayne. Please keep us informed. Last year on my way from the Bahamas I flew close to red circle hoping to be back soon.

DisneyLand.jpg

Great trip!

My wife and I met there while on a high school trip 20 years ago, honeymooned there 13 years ago, and have been back twice since with one and then two kids - so it's pretty special to us.
ISM is probably the best place to fly in. If you stayed at any Disney hotel property and could arrange a ride from/to the airport, then you could EASILY survive without a rental car - using only free Disney transportation.
I'll betcha the FBO could help you with airport transportation. There may be some sort of shuttle bus, or something. You won't be the first tourists they've seen there:D

Also - The Disney campground is one of the nicest around. Although, probably better with the other kind of RV.;) They do have nice cabins though.

You guys are the best!

Jim, I ordered book on Amazon. Thanks for that recommendation.

Vlad, Join us at PMH. We'll fly over to see our good friends at Spruce Creek in the little yellow birdie.

Jeff, Thanks for all the great info. Congrats on the long marriage...23 years for us.

PDJ, Thanks for the two sites.

At an approximate cost of $1.00/min for WDW, equaling my fuel cost per minute in the -10...one has to think of how much the kids will remember it. I know I do, from 30 years ago.

I know I will look forward to sliding back in my Oregon Aero seats after two days of over-priced pegging of the funometer and shoving all those knobs forward. Ahhh, the smell, view and sounds that 100LL makes.

If you do your homework Disney World can actually be reasonable in cost.

Our family has been at least once a year for the past 10 years. Our kids love it and we have learned how to keep the cost down. I mean my wife has learned how to keep the cost down.

Wayne
Kism tower vectored us directly into that big red circle on our way in last week in order to sequence us for landing. I was surprised for that vector and questioned entering the Disney restriction. Tower said that we were cleared to enter that space as long as we were in there control.
Man there is a lot learn.
Ron

Brantel, I am waiting on the book and will do some more research online. We would love to hear your experiences if you have time.

Ron, I would also have requested to transit it. I have heard of guys getting in trouble while on flight following with ARTCC, and just assuming they were okay. I have ran into some very patient controllers and some that I will not ever go back to. We can't possibly know everything, but I do alot of reading/watching videos in the slow times of the year. I was trained to just stay away from "R-xxxx" restricted areas while flying, then while doing transition training with David Maib went through my first. Not difficult at all. I take it that once your handed off to tower though, no request necessary...maybe some of the more experienced guys can comment. Thanks.

Back