What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 in Canada

CPSONE

Well Known Member
Last edited:
51% list

MD-RA offers an inspection that will evaluate whether a project qualifies under the 51% guidelines. Basically it is a checklist categorizing whether the components/tasks are performed/supplied by the supplier or the builder. I think there's a few RV-12 projects in Canada already, so I would think MD-RA has made a ruling on this kit qualification. Call them up & ask.

51% list

MD-RA offers an inspection that will evaluate whether a project qualifies under the 51% guidelines. Basically it is a checklist categorizing whether the components/tasks are performed/supplied by the supplier or the builder. I think there's a few RV-12 projects in Canada already, so I would think MD-RA has made a ruling on this kit qualification. Call them up & ask.

That's my understanding

The MD-RA website in Canada refers to the U.S. list of kit aircraft that meet the 51% rule for Amateur built. I was looking up the RV-12 and it's now on the list that shows on the FEB 29th 2012 updated list on the FAA site.
I suppose that means it now OK to build one in Canada and it meets the 51% rule. Can anyone confirm this?

When I started building my F1 Rocket I was told that because it wasn't on the FAA list I would have to pay for a 51% inspection, in spite of the fact there already had been a number of these built in Canada and they had already passed the inspection.

So if the -12 is now on the list, it should be good to go - but checking first is always prudent.

Back