What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuselage Stand Suggestion ?

beattiema

Patron
Well after 6+ years another mini-milestone has been reached. I'm finally ready to take our -6 fuselage off the jig and turn it over. I don't plan on using a rotisserie style stand at this time.
1. Was thinking of using false spars with legs and saw horse type supports initially. Any suggestions, warnings, or thoughts would be appreciated.
2. Is the recommended longeron height of 45" off the floor a good one. I was thinking of going a couple inches shorter as I'm 5'6".

Thanks

I used two pieces of steel angle iron bolted vertically through the motor mount holes in the firewall. Make em any length you like. In the back I used the tailwheel and the occasional sawhorse.

Sounds like a plan

beattiema said:
...........thinking of using false spars with legs and saw horse type supports initially. Any suggestions, warnings, or thoughts would be appreciated.
Your anticipated dimensions sound good to me. My false spar(s) extended about 12" or so from each side. With a relatively wide stance and 4"X4" legs bolted into them, it was very stable assembly and never exhibited any tendency to be tippy. I would suggest you initially size the legs a bit long. Doing that, you would retain the option to cut them down as need or comfort dictates.
rvfuse019km.jpg

My setup was similar to Rick's except that for the verticals I used 2X6s and added lawnmower wheels. And yes, keep it low. You will be climbing in and out a lot.

Thanks everyone for the input, even though we take the internet for granted anymore, I'm still amazed at what it gives us, relevant and current information and from all over the globe. Anyway - We rotated the fuselage today, glad to see the new configuration. Looks like a plane again instead of a canoe. The new view definetly inspires one to keep working on it. Will get it on some legs this week and start working away.

Took the legs off the fuse jig

and lowered it to the floor. The fuse is about 8 inches off the ground and that works ok for me.

Remember that if your fuse. stand uses the center section spar box, you will have to find something else to set the fuselage on when you fit the wings. Thus, I've been thinking about looking for a different approach since I'm about to flip the canoe. Good luck.

Back