What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Insurance in Canada

riobison

Well Known Member
Gents

I have been out of flying for the most part since 2006 with only a few hrs in the last 5 yrs. I have almost 700 hrs and getting back into flying with an RV. (200 hrs in tail dragger time)

I?m now wondering who has the best insurance rates for Hull In Motion? I do spend over 6 months of the year out of the country so I?m hoping they will be flexible and allow me to put on and take off the In Motion for the extended periods that I?m gone. In the past I had super service with Avemco but I know they are gone and lots has changed since then.

Thanks

Tim

I would get quotes from all three available carriers...
EAA Canada, COPA Gold wings, and Marsh (they used to be COPA Gold)
I have found that they will try harder to get your business these days since there are three possibilities now.

Chris

Canadian Insurance

I ended up staying with National Aviation Insurance Brokers who insured me before EAA offered the C-PLAN. I checked with C-PLAN and then with National and I got the same rate. Since National insured me when EAA did not offer Canadian Insurance, I chose to stay with National until they give me a reason not to stay.

I have been pleased with my dealings with Marsh in the last year or so. Rates have come down. I too am back into flying now my 7 is finished and was braced for sticker shock when I insured.
I'm paying around $1700 for $85000 hull value in motion and $2m liability.
There may be better deals but I was quite pleased with that rate.
Good luck.

The first year I had my -6, I requested quotes from Park and COPA. Park declined to quote as it was my first RV and I had less than 400 hours total time. At renewal time, I got quotes from EAA (Nacora) and COPA (Marsh), and went with EAA as they were $400 cheaper. This year I requested quotes from EAA (Nacora) and COPA (not Marsh) and EAA was still $300 cheaper. Each time the coverages were identical in all relevant aspects. I'm paying a hair less than Jim for about $20K less in hull coverage.

Nacora will get my money until I find a cheaper option or until I find out what they don't include and haven't told me about. :)

Last edited:
I'm paying around $1700 for $75K Hull in Motion and $2M liability on my RV-8 with EAA (Nacora). That is what I used to pay for $75K in Hull-Not-In-Motion with Marsh, although that has come way down since they actually have competition now (what a surprise :)

I was with Marsh/COPA for quite a few years. Last year EAA came in and the price was considerably less and I switched to them. On this years quote COPA has a new agent and their price was much better then the EAA price and so this year I have different policy again. Basically I can now get full hull coverage for less money then I used to pay for not in motion coverage. You just gotta love this competition!

When I bought my 6A last summer, I got several quotes through Park (Air 1 Insurance) and eventually went with Global. I was zero time in RV's, 400 hrs total time, and got $65k all risk in motion coverage and full liability coverage for $1800, subject to a checkout. Very satisfied. I have bought my insurance through Air 1 for many years and have been very happy with their customer service; changes have always been accomplished with a single phone call with no fuss and bother.

Good luck and enjoy your RV!

Hull insurance

Last summer when it was time for my RV 10's first flight, I called EAA and they flat refused me hull insurance for the 25 hour test phase. I was quite surprised!
I had 400 hours and an IFR rating.
I went to Park or Air1 and they got me coverage, they were very good to deal with!
Recommend them highly.

Wayne Millson

RV 10
55 hours and loving it!

I'll second the vote for Nacora/EAA. The COPA insurance still has some distance to go in getting competitive. It just burns me that as long as Marsh thought they were the only game in town we got s***wed on rates.

I insure one aircraft with full in-motion and $2M liability, plus carry $125K hull only on our aircrft project, all for $400 less than COPA/Marsh wanted to cover just our flying aircraft with full in-motion. This year the new COPA insurance still came out to be $400 more for apples-to-apples coverage on both aircraft.

I give a double thumbs-up to Sandy at Nacora for quick and courteous service. I'd pay extra for that kind of service and am very pleased that I get that service while also getting the lowest insurance cost.

Back