What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Side Skins....Problems

PlaneBuilderBill

Well Known Member
Well, the best laid plans....while installing the right side (hinge side) canopy skins I was a bit concerned about the height of the sheet metal and that it wouldn't fit on the left side as there was just enough metal to cover from the tube of the canopy frame down to the top of the hinge ( I had to go with a 1/2" beveled flange instead of the called for 3/4).. When I got to the left skin after I drew a line a 1/4" below the cockpit side rail, I aligned the bottom of the sheet metal with the drawn line and "voile" there wasn't enough metal to even get to the top of the canopy frame tube! Boy was I bummed to say the least!!! So I discussed the situation with Bob Avery (the tool guy, a "4" builder, great tool maker and general all-around good guy)...I then got on the phone and ordered enough .025 sheet to make both sides and make them large enough to "do it right". I was also having a problem at the "tail" of the canopy with the sheet metal that Van supplied just not being the correct shape to be able to cut, bend and pull into a shape that would cover the last round part (about 2") of the canopy frame tube. I could get it to look good, but the last part of the tube showed just above the sheet metal...not really a problem as it's not structrual, but I could get it right with new metal....
Just wondering if anybody else had or was having the same problem.
I'll post some pics after I get the new sheet metal fitted!

Bill Freckman
Grapevine, TX

I'm not sure I had the exact same troubles, but I can say that the canopy skins are the one piece of this thing that I most fear having to ever do again. I think if I were to do it again, I'd try making the whole deal out of glass. I think Randy Lervold (sp?) did this recently on a 3 project. Good luck with yours.

Canopy Side skins

I think these side skins are reason enough to build a fastback -4 alone! I had to remake one side of mine from scratch also. Getting it to sit right is hard, I'm not happy with mine but live with them. I don't have a secret remedy either for next time. Notice how many proud builders pose with their -4 standing in front of this area!

side skin blues

Dont feel alone! I make my living doing aircraft metalwork,and the side skins are a challenge to anyone...let alone a novice.The compound curve makes it hard to position things right,and once you commit to the flange shaping,the aft part will not move around much.Vans does trim it a bit on the small side, and I also re-made mine.Vans puts a small "shrink" in the skin at the lower edge to help pull it in tight. I did not shrink mine,and it still worked out well.I had to make a couple tapered shims at the rear frame to keep from having the skins pull in too far, but that was no big deal.I made a tool similar to an oversized edge roller from a couple 2" nylon wheels to roll my flange, and that worked very well.For the aft seam, I have both skins butt together, and a small splice plate between the bow and skins instead of overlapping them.
Good luck!
Bill E.

szicree said:
I'm not sure I had the exact same troubles, but I can say that the canopy skins are the one piece of this thing that I most fear having to ever do again. I think if I were to do it again, I'd try making the whole deal out of glass. I think Randy Lervold (sp?) did this recently on a 3 project. Good luck with yours.

! NO NO NO ! Definately not the route! At least not without somebody else making the fairing! I'm doing this right now and I'll tell you it's going to be a 100hr job for it to come out right (smooth).

-Bruce

Back