What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel Labels (Placards)

jamiller

I've reviewed archives and got some good ideas, but does anyone have any tips on making panel labels? I don't want anything too fancy (lost my Oskosh Grand Champion about 73 "smiles" ago), time consuming (had plenty of building joy - I want to FLY) or expensive (the pile of receipts I won't ever have the guts to add up is already way too HIGH). Also, although it probably would have been better to do this with the panel out of the plane, I can't think that far ahead and it's now painted and installed with most of the stuff already in it. I know about label makers (Brother, Kroy, etc.), but I think you're pretty much limited to colored letters (black in my case) on a clear tape. I'm also aware of decal paper you can get printed on a laser printer - I think the finished product would look pretty much like the tape labels. Is there another way that would work in my situation?

Thanks for your help.

John Miller
RV8-A, Fairbanks

labels

Hi John,
I'm not sure if this would work for you, however, I have access to a cnc engraver. I use 1/16" thick plastic to make things like placards and the like. I have mostly black background with white lettering and some blue with white lettering. I would be happy to talk to you off line if you think it is something that would work for you.
Dan B.

e-mail: [email protected]

Hey John,

FYI, this is what it looks like using Avery Clear laser printer labels and printing in black and white. The key to making them look nice is to put a box around them. That way the edge is not visible when you cut and apply.

andyair2.jpg

Use the office label maker

If you work in an office environment, ask a secretary if you can use her electronic label maker. You might have to buy some clear label tape, but they make absolutely great-looking looking labels. Or just go down to Office Depot and just buy yourself one.

The really nice ones take 1/2" tape, which lets you get two lines in the same space, and they also do different fonts and borders.

Back