What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tool for Prop bolt torque

B Cunningham

Well Known Member
I cannot reach the prop bolts on my Whirlwind 200 RV prop with a standard 1/2 drive torque wrench and a "crowfoot" fitting. I need something longer like a crowfoot that is 3 inches long for example. Any ideas appreciated.
Ben :confused:
RV7

Hartzell sells just the tool for this for only $350.00. A fancy double ended crows foot for 5/8" and 3/4" nuts/bolts heads with a 1/2" square drive for you torque wrench bored in the middle. I did what Bill Weesner did. Works Great!!

Roberta

To torque my Hartzell, I took a short bolt the same size as the prop nut, and ran a washer and nut on it. I put the open end of a combination wrench on the prop nut, put the nut, washer and bolt assembly in the box end of the combination wrench, and then put a torque wrench on the part of the nut, washer and bolt assembly. You need to adjust the desired torque reading as described above.

torque1.JPG

torque2.JPG

Great stuff -- Thankyou. Kevin thanks for taking the time with the photos. I have some good ideas now.

Ben Cunningham
RV7

90 degree it

I could be wrong here but I seem to remember hearing that if you add an "extension" such as this to a torque wrench at a 90 degree angle from the handle it cancels out the add "arm". No formula needed. Of course I could be wrong but it's worth looking into.

wingtime said:
I could be wrong here but I seem to remember hearing that if you add an "extension" such as this to a torque wrench at a 90 degree angle from the handle it cancels out the add "arm". No formula needed. Of course I could be wrong but it's worth looking into.
This will almost work.

If you want to just use the called for torque, without needing to account for the extra length of the extension, you need to position the extension so the distance from the torque wrench handle to the end of the extension is the same as the distance from the handle to the socket on the wrench. This will require an angle a bit different than 90 degrees. If your torque wrench has a rachet function, you may find that it is hard to keep the angle constant, so this approach could be problematic. It would be better to just put the extension in line with the torque wrench, and do the math to figure out the new torque value. The formula is in an earlier reply, and it isn't rocket science.

Back