What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question about this in dash compass

flyenforfun

Well Known Member
I was given an in dash compass that is lighted. The lighting works on it but I am trying to find what connector is used on the back of this thing? Are all compass wiring or connectors the same?

My in panel Airpath compass has no plug. There was two wires coming out for the lightbulb. I added an Amp (Molex style) two contact connector to make compass removable possible without cutting wires. Yes you will need to remove the compass to replace diaphragm every 10 or so years when it starts leaking.

You don't need one.

Matt, the remote magnetometer driving the heading tape is acceptable as a magnetic compass, so if you're planning on any sort of "Glass" in your panel..that's already covered.

Best,

Matt, the remote magnetometer driving the heading tape is acceptable as a magnetic compass, so if you're planning on any sort of "Glass" in your panel..that's already covered.

Best,

As a whole that statement is true, but the reality is that only works with some DAR's in some FSDO's in some places. It's not a hard fast rule that they all follow (even if we agree that they should). I definately wouldn't plan on that being accepted until you speak to your DAR first. Some are fine with that, but many still are not. Heck, I still have to argue almost weekly with some shop or someone somewhere letting them know that a non certified EFIS is acceptable in an IFR airplane.

Anyway, the point is that many will sign off the plane with the remote compass, but many also will not. Pierre's point is how it should be, but not necessarily how it is - though I agree with Pierre!
Just my 2 cents as usual!

Cheers,
Stein

Back