What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TruTrack VSII issue.

sailvi767

Well Known Member
I have a tru track auto pilot. It has in the past worked great. I upgraded from a 396 to a 696 with no issue and the autopilot continued to work great with the new 696 in tracking ect.. The GPS out signal from the 696 is split to the TruTrac and a Dynon D10A. I then upgraded from a older PCAS system to a XRX and set it up to feed the 696. I had to switch the settings to allow both the data output and TIS in on the 696. The XRX talks to and interfaces correctly with the 696 however on the next flight I lost the GPS input to the TruTrac.
I have checked baud rates ect.. and cant' find a solution. The TruTrac does display the flashing dot most of the time indicating it is seeing data packs from the GPS but I can't get it to enter the GPS Nav mode.
Any thoughts?

George

I did some more testing today. Autopilot and the Dynon D10A work and function normally in all modes with NMEA out selected on the Garmin 696. However when I select NMEAout and TIS in the D10A continues to function normally but the autopilot will not work in any GPS modes. Not sure where to go from here to find a solution.

George

Sounds like the Trutrak doesn't like the input impedance its seeing with so many other devices connected to your RS-232 lines.

call for help

George,
I don't know the answer but, call Lucas, he knows everything, :)
Ask Dynon support too. Do you have the latest update in the D10A?
Dynon may know about the 696 issue and created a fix in a software update.
The 696 is way newer than the D10A and Dynon continues to support/update software. Keep after it.......you will find the answers, TT and Dynon are expermental equipment only and have always been very helpful in figuring out any issues I've had with their equipment. Good Luck.

I should have called TruTrac a few days ago. Called them this afternoon and they said call back when you are at the aircraft. We will talk you through the setup changes required. Sounded like they know exactly what the problem is and have had it come up before.
I should mention the Dynon D10A has functioned normally. The problem has been only with the autopilot when TIS in is selected on the 696. I still don't understand why the TIS in selection would impact the NMEA out but as mentioned TruTrac seemed to know exactly what to do for the fix. Said it will take 2 minutes when they have me at the plane.

George

The solution turned out even simpler then I expected and I thought it was something I had already tried but must have missed the combination.
When you select TIS in and NMEA out you also get VHF out. VHF out requires 9600 baud so regardless of what you have set prior in the NMEA out mode the garmin unit shifts to 9600 baud. Resetting the TruTrac for 9600 baud had everything up and working.

George

Back