What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skyview EMS data recording

Bubblehead

Well Known Member
I am trying to record data from my Skyview via a serial line. I have tried a data logger, a terminal emmulator and some other various things without luck. I suspect I am trying to do normal serial RS232 data recording when it is sending TTL or other voltage levels.

Can someone tell me what the serial data output is? Not the data breakdown - that is in the manual - the voltage of the communication signal. Better yet, if you have a way or recording the data for later import to a spreadsheet, please share it with the rest of the class!

Apparently Dynon has recording capability on their to do list but who knows when they'll get to it. I love the Skyview but really want to record some data!

The regular serial signals output on the Dynon systems are RS232 spec signals. Ver 3.2 added serial output of EMS data to the Skyview according to the release notes.

I used a usb to serial adapter, hooked to a pc running hyperterm.
the biggest problem I had was being able to see the mouse on the pc screen to start recording.

If you need a program to decode it pm me.

I have a rs232 to usb drive adapter on the way. It comes from china, so the manual is kinda sketchy but for 26 bucks I'll take a chance. I'll report back to let you know how it goes.

Dynon are you listening? we need data download to the usb drive PLEASE!!

Bubblehead, are you getting NO data? I'm assuming you have it set up on the dynon?

I have a cable rigged up with signal and ground going from the serial port 4 TX line from the Skyview to the RX pin and ground on a serial port on my computer. I fired up terminal emmulation software, set it to the correct Comm Port and 9600, 8, n, 1 on the computer but do not get any communications.

On the Skyview setup page for Serial Port 4 I have set up EMS data output and 9600 baud.

I think I'm on the right trqck but missing something.

BTW the cable I am using worked fine with my GRT EIS data out line when used with The Waiter Flight Data Recorder software. http://http://iflyez.com/EFISRecorder.shtml

More info that Larry's post reminder me of. I am using a USD serial adapter because my laptop does not have a DB9 serial port. It all worked fine with the GRT unit.

Hyperterm was one of two emmulation programs I tried.

Larry - once I start getting data I'll send it for decoding. I agree with your message to Dynon. I tell them by phone and on their forum that it is an important feature that puts them at a disadvantage with their competitors.

Last edited:
Back